I/O error (torn page)

• Hello,

While processing a cube am getting the following error

I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0x0000007c644000 in file 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\CCD_Data.MDF'.;HY000; Time:6/24/2004 12:42:29 PM

Hello someone please help me on this issue

• Your fact table has a torn page, rendering it rather useless. Torn pages occur when there has been a problem reading or writing data to disk; a common cause may be a power fluctuation or failure, HDD failure etc.

If you haven’t already you may want to enable torn page detection on your SQL server. BOL tells you how and gives more information.

In my experience it may be best, and quicker, to recreate your fact table than try and fix it. But I don’t know how long it takes to generate you fact table so you can decide.

Hope this helps.

• You should run a DBCC CHECKDB as soon as possible.  SQL Server is often times able to recover using one of the repair parameters (REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS, REPAIR_FAST, REPAIR_REBUILD) for CHECKDB.  The results of DBCC CHECKDB will tell you more about the problem and offer suggestions.  This is often times caused by some sort of controller caching problem.  If you continue to experience this error and have caching on your controller enabled, you may try to disable it and see if your problem goes away.  Also, check with your controller vendor and see if you have the latest firmware and if they are aware of any problems.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply