IoT Pros and Cons

• Steve, thanks for the chuckle this morning when I saw your post.  Reflecting on the 'pros' and 'cons' of my years, I can say I knew a few of both!

Rick

One of the best days of my IT career was the day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

• Here is my take on IoT devices:

IoT has revolutionized industries like: manufacturing, transportation, healthcare, and science. Since this article was originally posted in 2017, I have since installed a Ring home security system. Getting alerts and doorbell video streamed to my cell phone is wonderful and a game changer.

IoT enabled toilets offer the potential of (one day) performing meaningful health screenings. However, $3000+ "Smart Wi-Fi Enabled" refrigerators still continue to be a solution in search of a problem - topping the list as the most over priced and pointless IoT consumer product.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Here is my take on IoT devices:

IoT has revolutionized industries like: manufacturing, transportation, healthcare, and science. Since this article was originally posted in 2017, I have since installed a Ring home security system. Getting alerts and doorbell video streamed to my cell phone is wonderful and a game changer.

IoT enabled toilets offer the potential of (one day) performing meaningful health screenings. However, $3000+ "Smart Wi-Fi Enabled" refrigerators still continue to be a solution in search of a problem - topping the list as the most over priced and pointless IoT consumer product.

I do like my Ring doorbell system as I can interact with folks who can't tell if I'm at home or away.  And if I want, I can arm myself BEFORE I open the door.  But is that IOT toilet going to do my prostate exam?  I don't think so.

Rick

One of the best days of my IT career was the day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

• It might not do the exam, but it might alert you to some suspicious levels in excrement. I think there is potential for many technologies to help, not solve, issues and make things more efficient.

Unfortunately, someone trying to maximize their profit or revenue sometimes gets in the way of tech just helping a bit.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply