Is BCP deprecated in SQL 2008 R2 or not?

• Hi all,

I was quite surprised by a comment from one of our clients' program managers today, when he mentioned that according to his own IT staff the BCP command utility is deprecated in SQL 2008 R2, and therefore wants us to replace it with something else (talked about using Powershell with no finer details). When I checked SQL2K8R2 BOL I couldn't find any reference to that statement, but yeah, who fully trusts BOL ;-).

A quick check on the web however led me to this thread on social.msdn.microsoft.com, which is pretty recent. In there both Kalen Delaney and Sethu Srinivasan (on behalf of Sunil Agarwal, Program manager owning BCP feature) said it is not.

My question therefore, has anyone heard about this (probably rumour) as well? And how did you react to it if you were using BCP in production environments? Did you pre-emptively look for some other way to solve your bulk loading tasks? And if you did, what did you come up with? SSIS isn't an option in our case by the way.

Any comments much appreciated.

Regards,

Jan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Look under the BCP entry in Books Online. If there is no deprecation message there, it is not officially deprecated.

Ask the client's program manager to get you the source for that statement.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Or run profiler while a bcp task is running and see if it fires either of the Deprecation Announcement or Deprecation Final Support events

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks Gail, will do both. I sometimes wonder where these kinds of unsubstantiated statements come from. Oh, BTW, you may have worked with that PM before, just won't mention any names 🙂 Great guy, won't take that from him.

Will get back to the thread once I found out (not tonight, already longing for bed).

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Coming to think of it, wasn't there some DMV that shows what deprecated feautures have been used since the last time SQL started up? Or am I just dreaming?

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/31/2010)

I sometimes wonder where these kinds of unsubstantiated statements come from.

People misunderstanding what they've read or been told. People making stuff up to make themselves sound more important. Or both.

Oh, BTW, you may have worked with that PM before, just won't mention any names 🙂

PM or mail? I'm curious now. Haven't worked with many down your part of the country.

Gail Shaw

• Ever since I have been involved with SQL Server (SQL Server 6.5) I've heard people spread rumors about BCP going away. I doubt it ever will because it is used so heavily especially in datawarehousing by some of microsoft's largest customers.

I found a link on the msdn forums that answered the same question but for sql server 2005 mentioning it shipping with sql server 2008 r2.

link

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply