is it possible to hide my tables (i don't want customers to see my columns)

• yeah, i think it's a good way to go, sth. like confusingly renaming everything like obfuscation,(15 years of electronics engineering 10 years of high level math and physics and i couldn't think of renaming the columns what a shame for me 😉 ) thanks for all answerers again and again 🙂

• delta dirac (4/6/2008)

yeah, i think it's a good way to go, sth. like confusingly renaming everything like obfuscation,(15 years of electronics engineering 10 years of high level math and physics and i couldn't think of renaming the columns what a shame for me 😉 ) thanks for all answerers again and again 🙂

Funny, I could have sworn that you were asking us for help.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• sometimes, easy solutions don't come into vision :-), i was asking for help then i got it , i mean thanks 🙂

• How about:

1. If it is patentable apply for a patent write your contract such that it required them to protect your IP and then charge accordingly

2. Sell them the rights to the intellectual property, and charge accordingly

However, if it was "work for hire" you probably do not have the right to do this. Also, have you actually come up with a solution that would be difficult for another Database engineer or solve, or was it just difficult for you to come up with it.

One of the other things I have seen done is that all the DIR's were removed and enforced only from the applications. So there were no foreign keys and no checks and stuff like that. This keeps people from using things like Visio and Da Vinci tools to reverse engineer it.

• The contents of the database tables - unless encrypted - would help in understanding what the "confusing" table names and column names really mean. And the "confusing" part also applies to the owner, when the time comes to make changes to the database.

As for using the WITH ENCRYPTION clause, this is an absolute joke. You can easily find on the web stored procedures that decrypt encrypted stored procedures. And if it was not enough, distribution of the stored procs after encryption becomes a nightmare.

Been there, seen it, done that. And gave up.

• Thats a truly word for going by the column identity name plate.

txtPost_CommentEmoticon(':D');

:DtxtPost_CommentEmoticon(':D');

😀

• delta dirac (4/1/2008)

hi everybody,

is it possible to hide my tables (i don't want customers to see my columns).

thanks.

This could be achieved ny giving specific permissions to the customers. If you dont want customers to view the records or coloumns of table restrict access to the customer for the table.:)

• rinu philip (7/20/2008)

delta dirac (4/1/2008)

hi everybody,

is it possible to hide my tables (i don't want customers to see my columns).

thanks.

This could be achieved ny giving specific permissions to the customers. If you dont want customers to view the records or coloumns of table restrict access to the customer for the table.:)

I don't think that this will work if the customers are the SA's & DBA's.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• So what is being said here is-

If you have SSMS(E) then you can open any SQL Server DB file (.mdf/.bak) that you have a copy of, if you have administrator rights under that instance of SSMS.

You can make yourself the owner of the db once you attach/restore it.

Is this right?

--Shaun

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• yup,

I think, delta is asking for security on database object. there is so many ways you can maintain the security in database level.

but as u said to "Hide", I can remind you, this can only be possible in File system not in a database management system, more over to that if you hide the DB objects, then how can you maintain the security on that?

The word "Hide" can have different version, If I am not wrong hide in file system is hiding a file or folder in OS level. but when you say "hide" in database level as "renuu" said you can make the object unavailable for the users and even you can make the schema object to implements this.

So the conclusion is there is no such concepts "hide" in database object but we can achieve this by using security and permission on database object.

Cheers!

Sandy.

--

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply