Is it possible to keep multiple languages in one database/server and is it possible to generate a report from Chinese to English in Sql server? If possible how?.

• Is it possible to keep multiple languages in one database/server and is it possible to generate a report from Chinese to English in Sql server? If possible how?. For example..

-Chinese clients should enter their tickets in Chinese and store that data in SQL.

-Asset records for Chinese computers should be available to Chinese technicians in Chinese language, but also should be available to reports in English. All these data are also stored in SQL.

Does it take two instances of SQL DB to accomplish this? One English and One Chinese?

Can any one please help me in this.

• Certainly possible to store multiple versions of the appropriate text in many different languages.

This could all be in one database if required, however the work of translating from say english to chinese or vice-versa is down to some application code.

As for the data model to store it I would probably be looking at building the app to use a "base language" and the text for that language being stored as normal, ie the "product description" being a column in the part table or whatever.

You could then add appropriate translated versions of "product description" in another table that references the "parts" table and also an appropriate language table.

So yes, can be done - but you need to design in how you you are going to store it.

Mike

• Hi, Thanks a lot Mike for the voluble information.

And what specific areas do I have to take care of in order to meet the following

requirements:

1. The database needs to store correctly content in English, Chinese,

French and Japanese.

2. The database needs to return correct results in full-text and field-based

search for searches in the above languages.

Thanks very much in advance for any info.

Srikanth

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply