Is our log file too big?

• It means that replication (specifically transactional replication) is preventing the log space from been reused. Is this DB the publisher for a transactional replication publication?

What's the output of DBCC OPENTRAN

I can't tell you how big the log should be, I know just about nothing about your DB. You're the one who knows it best.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/5/2010)

It means that replication (specifically transactional replication) is preventing the log space from been reused. Is this DB the publisher for a transactional replication publication?

What's the output of DBCC OPENTRAN

I can't tell you how big the log should be, I know just about nothing about your DB. You're the one who knows it best.

Is this DB the publisher for a transactional replication publication? I don't know, as far as I'm aware there is no replication set up on this server

This is the output of DBCC OPENTRAN

Replicated Transaction Information:

Oldest distributed LSN : (0:0:0)

Oldest non-distributed LSN : (110803:36:1)

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

• From the looks of that there's another half-setup publication.

Can you check with someone that would know whether or not this server is supposed to be involved in replication at all?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• It's definately not supposed to be set up in any kind of replication

• Ok... This fix sounds a little odd, but it does work.

Create a transactional replication publication and publish one table (a small one)

Once the publication has been created, stop the log reader (you can do that from replication monitor

In a query window run

exec sp_repldone

Wait a couple minutes here

Delete the publication that you just created

Once that's done, run DBCC OPENTRAN again and see if the reference to distributed and non-distributed LSNs has gone away.

If so, try again to shrink the log to a reasonable size.

Gail Shaw

• Okay Gail I've done as you said and the reference to the to the distributed and non-distributed LSNs seems to have gone away

Also log_reuse_wait_desc now = NOTHING

So I guess I now have to try and shrink the log files again. Is it okay to do that while the database is active?

• I went ahead and did the shrink anyway. I am very happy to report that the log file has now gone from 160GB to 3MB so it looks like that little trick of yours did the job Gail, thankyou very much, I owe you a large drink 🙂

• Glad it's working. Be sure that you have log backups running, and manage the size over time, watching the growth and balance that with the backups you need.

• Steve Jones - Editor (9/5/2010)

Glad it's working. Be sure that you have log backups running, and manage the size over time, watching the growth and balance that with the backups you need.

Will do Steve, cheers 🙂

• You should grow your log files now from the 3mb to something more appropriate. This is essential to help avoid fragmented vlfs. Check out the articles by Kimberly Tripp in my sig.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply