Is Replication the way to go?

• Hi SQL People,

I have a question regarding SQL Server and its replication.

We are currently running SQL Server 2000 Enterprise edition. The database we access was written internally and has grown to 120 tables, 52 views and 198 stored procedures .

We want to setup another office (Office B) with the application we use at head office (Office A).  The existing ADSL VPN will be increased to 512kb to give more speed in the hope that we can "link up" 2 SQL Servers in some way, shape or form.

We would ideally like to be in a position where users at Office A can add/edit/update/delete data on their local SQL Server and the changes are replicated across to Office B instantly and vice a versa if the VPN link is up. If the link goes down (happens sometimes but very rarely at present) then both offices would still be able to continue working and updating the data and when the link came back the SQL Servers would synchronise with each other.

I hope this is enough information for someone to be able to tell me what area to look into and if it is going to involve lots of code changes!

If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Mark Donne

Host 100

http://www.host100.co.uk/

• Yes, for me replication would do the work.

You could try merge replication wich can do anything you need.

• Merge replication would be the only way to do this without going to a third party or home grown solution that I'm aware of.

Wes

• Hey Mark

What you are asking is pretty much what I am trying to acheive also.  Let me know how you get on. 

I am writing a document at the minute and am trying to list the pros and cons of replication and log shipping, can anyone help?

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply