Is SQL Enterprise necessary?

• Current Server: Windows 2000 Server; SQL 2000 Standard; 4gb RAM

If the OS remains Windwos 2000 Server and I upgrade to SQL 2000 Enterprise, will I get any benefit?  I'm looking to use the additional ram in the server.   SQL 2000 Standard only uses 2gb of RAM.  According to BOL, SQL EE running on Windows 2000 supports a max of 4gb.  (search BOL index for "capacity")

After researching, I realize I do not need to use the /PAE or /3gb switches.  I don't think I need to enable AWE because I don't have over 4gb.

I'm confused how SQL EE can use 4gb of memory.  If the stardard 32 bit addresses can read a max of 4gb with 2gb for the OS and 2gb for applications, how can SQL EE use anymore than 2gb still.  Sounds contradictory to me.

If I do upgrade SQL Standard to SQL Enterprise will it use more than 2gb of memory?  If so, do I have to configure anything?

• Just a short summary. If you want to use more than 2 GB of memory, you will have to do the following

1) Add /3 GB switch in boot.ini to let your application use memory upto 3 GB. If you want to use more than 3 gb for your application(SQL Server here) u will require /PAE switch. This will make the OS understand to give more than 2 GB of memory to the application.

2) To use this additional memory, you will have to enable awe from within SQL Server.

There have been numerous threads discussing this on this site and you should be able to find more detailed information on it.

• Thanks for the response.  I have read some of the threads and quite a few other articles.  I'm under the impression that the /PAE and AWE are only for reading memory over 4GB.  This server has only 4GB.  Also, the /3db and /PAE switches are not supported on Windows 2000 Server.

These MS articles state the same.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/memory/base/physical_address_extension.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;KB274750#3

Therefore I'm not sure what benefit I have is the SQL is upgraded to Enterprise edition and the OS and memory are not changed.   If these articles state these aren't supported but in reality they work, wouldn't be the first time, then I'll give it a try. 

• I agree with you after reading that. It says you cannot use the /3GB switch with Windows 2000 Server. Without it then you are only going to be able to use 2 GB of memory with SQL Server and Standard Edition handles that fine. So unless you need log shipping or something else not supported in Standard Edition I wouldn't bother with EE. Or if you are going to need more RAM you need to look at changing to 2000 Advanced Server.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply