Is SSAS a bit flaky?

• I've been making my first excursion into SSAS this week and while generally I fell like I've conquered the basics, there are certain things that make me want to throw my computer out of the window.

I keep getting an error such as "Errors in the high-level relational engine. The 'dim_CustomerGroup4' table that is required for a join cannot be reached based on the relationships in the data source view." when I've made changes to a dimension. If I then go and undo the changes and return its state to exactly the way it was before I broke it, I still get the same error even though my DSV is correctly formed with correct FKs and PKs

So am I missing something or is SSAS just really flaky?

• I had this problem and it cleared after I deleted the offending Dims from the dsv, deleted the underlying .dim file, removed the foreign key constraint from the fact table, dropped the offending table and then recreated and repopulated it, recreated the FK and then recreated the Dim.

• Heh... so "Yes"... a bit flaky. 😛

They also had some problems with 2012. If you don't have SP2 installed and CU5 installed after that (came out in March), you REALLY need to do an update on your 2012 server(s). I don't normally install CU's myself but you really shouldn't do without this one and I've updated all my 2012 boxes.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply