Is there a better way to write a simple query?

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:37 AM

jcelko212 32090 - Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:28 AM

ScottPletcher - Monday, September 17, 2018 3:02 PM

sgmunson - Monday, September 17, 2018 1:40 PM

thelenj - Monday, September 17, 2018 1:21 PM

Phil Parkin - Monday, September 17, 2018 1:15 PM

Maybe it confused you (the reader), card readers didn't care.  Yes, I know exactly what punch cards are, used them.  I also used a card sorter, that is why there were unused columns on the cards for sequence numbers in case a careless programmer or operator decided to do a floor sort of the deck to get it back in proper sequence.

What I'm saying is that we would take our program decks, and pull individual cards out to rearrange them. The (usually) five columns to the right side of the card where the sequential numbers went to prevent you from dropping them on the floor and going insane. However, most of the time over developing programs, we didn't put the sequential numbers in. That was the final step when it was run through a machine to punch the sequence numbers and give us a print out on the old green bar paper.

The reason for saving cards like this was that some shops made you fill out coding sheets and block print your program letter by letter. This form was then taken to the "keypunch girls", who actually did the keeping. This took a lot of time, and we do anything to avoid it. Eventually, the company would put a single keypunch machine for the programmers out on a slightly raised platform in a common work area. The reason was on a raised platform that you had to stand to type on it. You are not allowed to bring a chair and sit down and monopolize this punch.

Please post DDL and follow ANSI/ISO standards when asking for help. 

• jcelko212 32090 - Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:49 PM

Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:37 AM

jcelko212 32090 - Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:28 AM

ScottPletcher - Monday, September 17, 2018 3:02 PM

sgmunson - Monday, September 17, 2018 1:40 PM

thelenj - Monday, September 17, 2018 1:21 PM

Phil Parkin - Monday, September 17, 2018 1:15 PM

Maybe it confused you (the reader), card readers didn't care.  Yes, I know exactly what punch cards are, used them.  I also used a card sorter, that is why there were unused columns on the cards for sequence numbers in case a careless programmer or operator decided to do a floor sort of the deck to get it back in proper sequence.

What I'm saying is that we would take our program decks, and pull individual cards out to rearrange them. The (usually) five columns to the right side of the card where the sequential numbers went to prevent you from dropping them on the floor and going insane. However, most of the time over developing programs, we didn't put the sequential numbers in. That was the final step when it was run through a machine to punch the sequence numbers and give us a print out on the old green bar paper.

The reason for saving cards like this was that some shops made you fill out coding sheets and block print your program letter by letter. This form was then taken to the "keypunch girls", who actually did the keeping. This took a lot of time, and we do anything to avoid it. Eventually, the company would put a single keypunch machine for the programmers out on a slightly raised platform in a common work area. The reason was on a raised platform that you had to stand to type on it. You are not allowed to bring a chair and sit down and monopolize this punch.

Okay, you are the omnipresent and know everything.  We should all bow down to your immense knowledge. NOT.

• How did my perfectly good thread, wherein I got some good advice, turn into a smack down over punch cards?
    I'm horrified and will probably have to take the rest of the day off and nap just to get over it.

I hope my boss understands.

• thelenj - Thursday, September 20, 2018 5:55 AM

How did my perfectly good thread, wherein I got some good advice, turn into a smack down over punch cards?
    I'm horrified and will probably have to take the rest of the day off and nap just to get over it.

I hope my boss understands.

Your thread got Celko'd I'm sure he'll be understanding.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply