Is there away to Know who is the NT USer when the login is sql server login

• I have some Sql server logins (Sql Server authentication) and I need to Know which Active Directory Login Used this Login

The database is logging the system_user when certian acctions are maid on certian tables (mainly for tracking)

beacause all most all users are NT LOGINS

now I nead to create 2 sql server logins to be used by several users but I need to Know wich is wich

I can Not Find It in the dynamic vies nor the sys processes table

• Try this:

select sys.dm_exec_sessions.session_id,sys.dm_exec_sessions.host_name,sys.dm_exec_sessions.program_name,

sys.dm_exec_sessions.client_interface_name,sys.dm_exec_sessions.login_name,

sys.dm_exec_sessions.nt_domain,sys.dm_exec_sessions.nt_user_name

,sys.dm_exec_connections.client_net_address,

sys.dm_exec_connections.local_net_address,sys.dm_exec_connections.connection_id,sys.dm_exec_connections.parent_connection_id,

sys.dm_exec_connections.most_recent_sql_handle,

(select text from master.sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sys.dm_exec_connections.most_recent_sql_handle )) as sqlscript,

(select db_name(dbid) from master.sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sys.dm_exec_connections.most_recent_sql_handle )) as databasename,

(select object_id(objectid) from master.sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sys.dm_exec_connections.most_recent_sql_handle )) as objectname

from sys.dm_exec_sessions inner join sys.dm_exec_connections

on sys.dm_exec_connections.session_id=sys.dm_exec_sessions.session_id

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• thanks for the query

but still it i am not getting the result I want

the NT Login Name and and NT Domian ARE empty for sql Server Logins

• Gil i don't believe it is possible.

I'd seen this question a couple of times before, and here are some threads on the same issue.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic921933-391-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic906015-145-1.aspx?Highlight=whoami

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic905937-146-2.aspx

i had tried reading the registry of HKCurrentUser with xp_cmdshell, but it trolls a copy of the default user (because the user context ends up being the service that SQl is running under, ie NT Network Authority or system) instead of the current user.

the PATH variables do not hold the same values when harvested from xp_cmdshell either, so you can't fidn the current user's directory and infer it, nor does whoami work either.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• No.

When the connection is made to SQL Server, based on the way the login packet is structured, only the SQL Server login information is passed. There's no support for anything else. After all, there's no guarantee that a Windows-based system is the client.

Therefore, the only way you'd know who the actual Windows user was on the client side is if the application passed the information via a query.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply