Is this possible?

• Is it possible to backup txn log to 2 locations - one with init and one without noinit?

• Not that I know. How about backing up to individual files to one location, then copy the latest to the other location deleting the old one?

Or, backup with noinit, then get the max file number to get the latest one.

• Thanks for the answer. What i am planing on doing is backing up to 2 locations. The one with init will be used to refresh my stand by database (for reporting purpose) and the other will be used for archiving.

But if i backup with noinit, i dont know, how to load the last txn in file onto my stand by database?

Any input will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks again,

Cali

• Use RESTORE LOG...WITH FILE =

If you look at the header information of your backup file (using RESTORE HEADERONLY), you take the file number from the POSITION column..the latest backup would then be the max file number.

Why not setup log shipping?

• Thanks for the answer.

Restore log with file option will load the static number given to the restore. I want to run this restore command all automated and there wont be any maunal intervention here. in that case, how does it work? I.E, Let's say i made 5 txn log backup's over the time, Is the restore log command smart enough to go and pick the last file in the chain?

• Then you'll have to script it out. Load the result of restore headeronly to a temp table, then query the position column.

Log shipping is the way to go if you want automated restore to a standby database.

• Thanks everyone for your contribution. Looks like Logshipping has all what i am looking for. i started reading more about logshipping and have to plan out to implement it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply