isnull returns wrong number of spaces (i think)

• Why would this return a single space instead of two spaces?

select isnull(nullif('',''),'  ')
  • I guess i should say the goal here is to do a :

left(column1,len(column1)-2)

and I'm trying to account for Null or Empty fields so the left function doesn't give me an error.

• Why not something like this?

IIF(LEN(Col1) <2, Col1, LEFT(Col1, LEN(Col1) - 2))

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• ISNULL returns the data type of the first parameter.The first parameter of  your ISNULL function is NULLIF('','') which if we use dm_exec_describe_first_result_set we can see returns a varchar(1). As a result the second parameter is converted from a varchar(2) to a varchar(1), and thus you get ' ' not '  ' as the value is truncated.

If you want to return '  ' then use COALESCE, which is a short hand CASE expression. This uses Data Type Precedence to determine the return data type, meaning that a varchar(2) would be returned, not a varchar(1): COALESCE(NULLIF('',''),'  ')

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Solution:

Use COALESCE instead of ISNULL, i.e.:

select COALESCE(nullif('',''),' ')

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Thanks guys.  The coalesce solution is what I needed.  Phils solution would work, except I want to return an empty string if there's less than 2 characters.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply