Issue starting SQL Server in single user mode.

• Hi all,

When I try to start the SQL server using the following command I continuosly get login error from application logins in the command prompt:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe -m

This prevents me to try the sqlcmd utility to proceed with my work. I need to used the same command promt window as it is in single user mode.

Any guess?

Thanks in advance

John

• $partacu$ (7/24/2010)

Hi all,

When I try to start the SQL server using the following command I continuosly get login error from application logins in the command prompt:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe -m

This prevents me to try the sqlcmd utility to proceed with my work. I need to used the same command promt window as it is in single user mode.

You are starting the SQL Server in Single User mode (-m). Hence there will be login errors since only one user will be allowed to connect to the instance.

Before you connect to the instance, some other user has already connect to the instance and you are denied login.

Try specifying which application should be allowed to connect when SQL Server is running in SQL Instance. This command helps you to achieve that

net start mssql /m"SQLCMD"

SQL Server will allow only the SQLCMD application to connect to the Instance running in Single User Mode.

Hope this helps!

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• Thansk for the reply.

I have figured out the issue. I kept a management studio query window open before the restart in single user mode.

Even if we start the instance in single user mode with the help of NET START, the same issue can happen (If the same administrator who tries to put the server in Single User mode and forgot to close the SSMS query window).

Thanks

John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply