Issue with SQL server using very inefficient query plan

• Hi,

I have a search stored procedure that basically performs a query similar to

select top 10 primary_key,field1,field2,field3

from Table1

where table1.dateField between @iDate1 and @iDate2 and exists

(select primary_key2 from table2

where table2.foreign_key = table1.primary_key and

table2.TextField LIKE '%'+@iKeyword+'%')

ORDER by table1.dateField desc

Basically table1 and table2 have of order 100,000 rows in them, and typically about 10% of those rows are included in the range @iDate1 to @iDate2. I have an index on table1.dateField descending and another index on table2.foreign_key. TextField is a varchar(15) and contains a (non-unique) business identifier.

Typically on my server hardware (running SQL 2008 R2 SP1 Standard) this query takes under a second to run. I have an issue that appears where @iKeyword is actually equal to TextField for a small proportion of the rows of table2(something less than 1% of the rows), and @iKeyword's length is within a few characters of the longest string stored in TextField and the first few characters of @iKeyword are the same as the first few chars on TextField for over 90% of the rows in table2. In these circumstances the query optimiser uses a query plan that is much less efficient for some reason - it takes of order 1 min 30 secs. Looking at the execution plan it seems to be using an index table2.TextField. SSMS is not picking up any missing indexes if I look at the missing_indexes DMV.

I thought that if there was a leading wildcard the query optimiser would not attempt to use an index for that field, but it appears I was mistaken.

I tried forcing the optimiser to re-compile specifically for that argument by adding 'WITH RECOMPILE' to the stored proc and re-executing. This had no effect on the execution time

I tried modifying the query to something like

;with FilteredTable1

as

( select Primary_key,field1,field2,field3,dateField

from table1

where table1.dateField between @iDate1 and @iDate2)

select top 10 f1.primary_key,f1.field1,f2.field2,f2.field3

from filteredtable1 as f1

where exists

(select primary_key2 from table2 inner join

filteredtable1 as f2 on table2.foreign_key = f2.primary_key

where table2.foreign_key = f2.primary_key and

table2.TextField like '%'+@iKeyword+'%')

order by f1.datefield desc

Unfortunately this didn't improve things either. The only way I that I have found to avoid this at this stage is to drop the index on table2.TextField. After I did this the second query above seems to run slightly faster than the first (ie faster than a second). As soon as I recreate the index on textfield1 the stored proc goes back to being 1min 30 secs execution time again for that specific argument. I would prefer to keep the index on textfield as it is being used for another (less frequent) query. I know that I could probably use an index hint to avoid this behaviour, but I generally consider this to be a last resort. I am beginning to think that I am at that 'last resort' stage. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew.

• Could you post the execution plan please?

Leading wildcard means SQL can't seek on an index. It can scan.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Have you considered using Full-Text?

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• The execution plans - one with ix_ProblemIndex takes 1 min 20 sec to run, if you drop problem index you end up with less than a second.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply