Issue with string or binary data truncation

• I have a stored procedure where I am inserting data form stage table to main table. There I have a data in the column where  has very huge data.
    when i run stored procedure for first time it shows message invalid length parameter passed to left or substring function and when i ran second time the same stored procedure it showing error as stirng or binary data would be truncated..

both column sizes and data type is same for both source and destination..we are ok if we get invalid length error but why the second time its shows as truncation error?

• mcfarlandparkway - Friday, March 3, 2017 9:41 AM

I have a stored procedure where I am inserting data form stage table to main table. There I have a data in the column where  has very huge data.
    when i run stored procedure for first time it shows message invalid length parameter passed to left or substring function and when i ran second time the same stored procedure it showing error as stirng or binary data would be truncated..

both column sizes and data type is same for both source and destination..we are ok if we get invalid length error but why the second time its shows as truncation error?

The first error refers to an invalid parameter to a function; the second would be caused by the destination column being less than the length of the data to be inserted. Can you post the SP code and the table definitions?

Roland Alexander 
    The Monday Morning DBA 
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. ~ Albert Schweitzer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply