Issue with the linked server query

• Hi All,

I have a Stored Procedure which has below statement.

exec MyServer_linked.TestDB.dbo.USP_Core_Log_AddToAuditLog @system='HR Data Load', @eventString='updateTblContractorUser', @objectID=@peopleKey,

When I run my SP, i get the below error message.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "MyServer_linked" returned message "No transaction is active.".

Msg 7391, Level 16, State 2, Procedure Usp_HRLoad_User_tblContractorUser, Line 98

The operation could not be performed because OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "MyServer_linked" was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

Note: SP was working fine 30 mins back and suddenly started giving issues in the linked server query. Please help me to fix this issue

Regards,
    Suresh Arumugam

• Did you add a BEGIN TRANSACTION somewhere?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• As Jeff was saying if you are using Transactions you will have to enabled MSDTC on the servers...

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Working with distributed transactions isn't always easy...

I suppose you're logging something to the remote server, so the real question is: do you really need a distributed transaction to put a log entry? It depends. I usually work with SQL Server linked to AS/400 and the provider fails quite often: if it fails I have to reboot the machine to kill all the orphaned processes, that is not a choice for a mission-critical application.

If you think you don't need the transaction, I would suggest calling the remote procedure after the COMMIT statement.

Regards

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Hi All,

Thanks for your time & the replies.

I have tried restarting both the linked servers and their MS Distributed Transaction Coordinator services. It has fixed the issues and now I could see my linked server query running.

Thanks,

Suresh

Regards,
    Suresh Arumugam

• I am happy that you got it working - thanks for the feedback.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply