Issues with SQL 2008 Std consumed memory

• I'm using a SQL 2008 std database but I notice that the utilized memory on the box keeps increasing but never comes down unless I restart the SQL Sever service. I'm pretty much a novice on the Admin side so I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction. Maybe I'm missing some basic understanding of how SQL utilizes memory.

What I do know is this:

1. When the SQL service starts up, it uses little memory and gradually increases till it hits the minimum memory setting.

2. As SQL needs memory, the service will allocate more memory as needed up to its max setting.

What I don't see happening when I run various processes is the memory ever coming down.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Duplicate post. Please post all replies to http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1069880-391-1.aspx

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I meant to delete the original post. How do I do that?

• Not sure. 🙂 The first comment is enough to point people to the other post though.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply