Job Activity Monitor

• Hi everyone,

I have installed a new instance of SQL Server 2008 (SP1) Statndard on Windows 7. installation goes fine. but when i clicked 'Job Activity Monitor', an error comes.. 'Unable to execute requested command. Jobs (sqlManagerUI)'

what is this... i searched on every forum but not found any way to go. Please share every possibilities.

Thanks,

Noman

• If I remember correctly, I solved that once by rebooting.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Many reboots buut No Effect... 🙁

• Is the SQL Agent service running?

Do you have the necessary server-level permissions to view job data?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• yes ofcourse agent service is running and i can see jobs in object explorer and i can run it from there. but why not activity monitor can open. Still is this all about windows 7, because the same issue reported on other windows 7 machine.

Still expert opinions required.

Thanks..

• If you have installed just the SSMS Basic Tools (such as from Express Advanced, or by not selecting SSMS advanced during setup), you will not be able to use Job Activity Monitor.

or:

Install SP1 for SQL Server 2008 to bring all features up to date.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Thanks.. I reinstalled with all tools not only the basic tools. and it worked.

Thanks again.

Noman

• np pleasure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• I'm having this problem with multiple machines that PREVIOUSLY WERE WORKING.

For some time I've had both sql2005 and 2008 management studio on my machine. A little while back the job activity monitor stopped working on 2005 and then 2008. I worked around by logging onto the server when i had to look at jobs, because I was getting a new machine anyhow.

Yesterday the SQL2008 on the new machine (W7 pro) would show job activity monitor just fine. Today I get the same errror "unable to execute requested command jobs(SQLmanagerUI)"

Does anyone have a clue what is happening here?!!!

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply