Job creator/owner cannot find domain information about user (Error 8198)

• Happy New Year all,

I have been running into this problem quite a few times on both replication jobs and cross server DTS tasks. If I login remotely to a server (as I must do frequently) to create a job, the job takes the owner of my current windows loging. This user is a domain admin with all rights. When the job tried to run I often get the error that the server cant find any information about the users rights from the DC. If I run nslookup the machine has no problem finding the DC or the DHCP server etc etc. If I change the owner of replication tasks to replication_admin all is well and other jobs I can change to a local admin user and that works as well.

Why cant this domain admin user be used as an owner..? Is there some other permission that must be granted to the user or within sql..?

Thanks for any pointers.

Rolf

• Have you removed the BUILTIN\Administrators login? Did you add the domain admin user to the Server Admin fixed server role on the SQL Server? Is the domain admin user identified as DOMAIN\Username in the job properties?

If the domain admin user derives admin rights from BUILTIN\Administrators login then I would add that domain admin to the local admin group on the SQL Server box.

I hope this helps.

Joseph

• I see this periodically and usually change all jobs to be owned by "sa" to avoid this. It's got to be some type of domain authentication issue, but it's so sporadic that it isn't worth the troubleshooting (yet)

• In fact, search the SQl Server 2000 KB for "8198" just in case

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply