Job is failing for unknown reason

• We have a job which executes every 20 sec and it executes an SSIS package. Once in a while it fails with a message "Executed as user: XXXX\yyyy. The step failed." which is actually unknown.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this? If setting Profiler, to what event should I set it ? I don't want to choose to many events as this is production system.

Thanks

• Does it mean, it works fine sometimes and fails sometimes?

What does the ssis package do?

Pavan.

• It works fine in 99% of all ecxecutions. And there is no any pattern for failure timings, it looks completely random.

The package is rather complex. It populates two dim tables by calling children packages, one fact table, then doing some processing, and at the end populates another fact table. All this is done in a container.

• SQL Guy 1 (11/29/2012)

It works fine in 99% of all ecxecutions. And there is no any pattern for failure timings, it looks completely random.

How much time does it take when it executes fine and how much when it fails.

Since it fails only sometimes, it can be related to the data itself. Some values are not passing over, truncation, wrong data etc?

Pavan

• Do you have any sort of logging enabled on the package itself?

• It executes in average 5-7 sec when is success, and up to 40 sec for failure. That's right that something is related to data, but I need to troubleshoot it to find exact reason.

About logging in the packages: let me check it. This may sound like a good idea.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply