Job Owners - No object found

• Hi guys,

Need some advice on a strange issue. I've recently inherited a SQL server running under Local System, jobs that were created by a colleague of mine are all running fine when he is owner of the job. We're both sa's on the database server.

However, if I create a job I'm getting the "Unable to determine if the owner (Domainame) of job xxxx has server access". When I open up the job, try to select myself from the list of logins, I get the "No object was found with the name Domainame but objects with names containing Domainame were found.

Like I said the job will run fine with my colleague as owner or if I run it under sa but surely there should be a straight forward explanation for this.

My guess is that there's something else that we've missed in terms of registering my account on the SQL server itself, some sys table etc

I've had a look around and see that this is quite a common issue e.g. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic814963-1550-1.aspx

but I can't find any direct answer to this.

any help is greatly appreciated

• If you are a member of sysadmins then there is nothing further in sql server for permissions.

This sounds like the job is doing something outside of sql server, perhaps on the file system or across the network. And you may not have the necessary access outside of sql server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• The job step is running under proxy/credential which runs fine when the job owner is sa or running under my colleague. When the job owner is set to me fails before its even hitting the job step itself.

As the instance is running under local system I thought it might be something funny like me never logging onto that machine before, which I've just done, tried running the job again and its still failing.

• My guess is that this is something around local policy on the machine. Unfortunately, all of this is locked down so I can't look into it further but having similar issues when trying to send emails via subscriptions on the SSRS instance on the same machine I'm getting similar behaviour.

For example, if I try to create an email subscription from my machine I get an error stating "Failure sending mail: The report server has encountered a configuration error. Mail will not be resent"

If my colleague tries to do the same from his machine, the mail sends fine.

In both cases, the subscription job creates on the SQL Server and returns a successful result. However, the job simply doesn't send. I've added myself as a sysadmin within the site settings of the report server.

The only thing that's different is the fact that I'm not a member of the builtin admins. I find this odd considering that in both cases, on the database server and the report server, I am by all means an SA but it still requires that I be a member of the local admins on the machine. I'm guessing this is down to running SQL server under local user instead of using service accounts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply