Job still running after being deleted

• I had to delete a maintenance plan and its associated jobs directly from the system tables, not something i like doing but it was the only way to get round another problem I'm trying to resolve.  I removed all reference to the maint plan from the sysdbmaint* tables and all references of the job from the sysjob* tables.  However, it appears to still be running because i'm still getting an email everytime its failing, every hour on the hour for the tran log backup and once a day for the full backup.  I've even created a new maint plan, which has been given the same name as the old one, which runs perfectly but the old one still seems to be in the background somewhere

A bit of background:  Installed a trial version of a 3rd party backup solution, trial period came to an end and now i can't edit/delete/update any job or maint plan, i get a message saying that i can't update jobs that are associated to a different MSX server. 

Any suggestions as to why this job/maint plan might still be running?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

• I had a similar problem a while back.  You might want to check out the Microsoft KnowledgeBase article 281642 for some background.

I took a short cut which involves editing a system table.  I know this is frowned upon but it was a simple edit and it seems to have worked (4 months since I did it, no problems).

Since you already removed references in the sysjobs table, this may not apply but open the SYSJOBS table in the msdb database.  Look in the ORIGINATING_SERVER column for any reference to a server name other than the one you are running from.

If this doesn't help, hopefully the KB article will at least lead you in the right direction.

• Thats great, looks to have solved it.  The server is still running version 7 and the name of the server hasn't been changed.  It looks like this 3rd party piece of software updated sysjobs with the actual name of the server rather than leaving it as (local).  I've updated the originating_server column and all works well.

Many thanks

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply