Job Title Questions

• Hello,

I had an interesting discussion this morning with someone who was helping me look for a job. As I explained my current roles and responsibilites, this person began to describe my roles and responsibilites in terms I would not have thought would apply to what I do with SQL Server.

To help me clarify the differences between job titles, could you please submit your own descriptions of what you think of when are presented with the following job titles (or roles), and maybe even the differences between them:

1. Database Designer

2. Database Architect

3. Database Developer

4. Database Admnistrator

In my limited experience with SQL Server 2000 (almost three years), I'm more familiar with the terms 'Database Developer' and 'Database Administrator'. I fill both of these responsibilites for the small organization I work in, but I also create the user interfaces to the database applications, take the whole project from initial idea to completion, and then support the users.

After this conversation, I had doubts that I had expressed myself as well as I could have on my resume, and so I feel like I need to get a better handle on these things.

If you know of any web resources for this type of thing, please pass that along as well.

Thanks for your help!

CSDunn

• My opinions only....

1. Database Designer

Works with end users, business analysts and developers to create the logical schema. Might use tools like ERWin. Might use a pen and paper. Doesn't necessarily have to be concerned about what will be the ultimate DBMS product.

2. Database Architect

Either a pretentious Database Designer , or someone who looks at the bigger picture in terms of the physical database deployment... number and location of servers, clustering, server configuration, replication topology, log shipping & disaster recovery, etc, etc.

3. Database Developer

Develops end user applications (VB, asp, Coldfusion, .Net, etc) utilising database repositories.

4. Database Administrator

Looks after the database server. Maintains SQL security. Ensures backups and scheduled jobs are ok. Checks error/alert logs. Creates and monitors comprehensive maintenance plans. Monitors performance and works with developers to improve performance. Might develop some SQL apps to streamline DBA activities (or grab them from a web forum). Might develop some SQL apps or DTS/ETL jobs to supplement applications (eg. a daily mailout of stats to business users).

Cheers,

- Mark

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Thanks, this is very helpful! CSDunn

• Hi,

you could also check out

http://www.dbajobs.com/database_job_titles.htm

• All these job titles are rubbish. I'm sick of new titles to say well done without pay raises. As far as I'm concerned you can call me Head Data Monkey as long as I get the wage I want! I take the same attitude with my team.

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply