Jobs not running

• I have spent most of today trawling the web for information on the following error:

Error 14258 : Cannot perform this operation while SQLServer Agent is starting. Try again later.

Most forum topics say that this is due to fiber-mode/lightweight pooling being activated. This is not true in my case. Like most problems we encounter it started after a long period of everything running smoothly and there being no changes on the server.

Any one got any thoughts?

TIA

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Sounds like your SQL Server Agent is hung.  Can you go to control panel -> administrative tools -> services and see if the SQLSERVERAGENT is started. 

If it has hung in the startup process you should try restarting it.  I would also check the NT system event logs for a possible agent failure during startup.

• It shows as being started there and in services manager. None of the Sql logs show that the service has failed to start or that any have stopped. Windows Event log doesn't show that anything odd (i.e. service stopping having problems) etc has happened either.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan

• Are you able to restart the SQL Server Agent service?

• No - the only way to re-start it is to re-boot, which still leaves me with the initial problem

• Hi,

if you configured sqlagent with an outlook email profile, check if the profile is valid. If it's valid, set sqlagent to start manually, reboot, log in as the service user, start outlook, then start sqlagent. If that works you might want to change your email configuration to use smtpmail or commail.

An other possibility is that msdb is corrupted. Do a "dbcc checkdb" on msdb...

regards

karl

Best regards
    karl

• Thanks - although not the answer it has put me onto the fact that email services had been started, they did not complete. Only checking logs on two servers highlighted this difference.

Stuart

• Hmm, to clarify, is the SqlAgent service "started" or "starting"?

While "starting" you can't stop it, and usually it won't start any job.

I've hat that problem on some servers, if the sqlagent can't access the mail profile properly it won't start at all.

In EM - SQLAgent - Properties, is there a mail profile configured?

Can you deactivate it and start the agent?

Karl

Best regards
    karl

• Thanks for all you help - I'm now sorted it was a mail client problem on the server. Sadly we use groupwise

Stuart

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply