jobs: status = executing, but the daily job has completed

• SS2K Enterprise, 8 way CPU,  8 gig ram, large 300+gig instance, SP4

Flying blind at a new company, they did not have DBA for 8+ months, trying to find/figure things out.

They have 4 of 6 jobs reporting completed successfully in history, but the status is 'executing'.  History shows most jobs ran in 1-3 hours and are done.

Non-Issue and wait for reboot?  The jobs are for backups/maint plans/opt stats/reorg indexes.....

I would normally test the backups, but currently there is no development area large enough to test the backups, which is my primary concern.  No performance issues ore other errors being reported.

Thanks,

Joseph

• Did you refresh your GUI?

• yes.  I get the same result remote and local.

Joseph

• Did you try restart the Agent?

Are there any active processes hanging?

• Sorry, should have mentioned that.  I have started and stopped the agent services.  Same result, when the agent comes back up, the status is still "executing".  This is a 24x7 system, I will have to wait for the weekly window to restart the db and/or reboot the server.

Joseph

• no hung processes

• Yeah, I had this problem once. The processes were hanging, so I killed them manually and the problem went away.

Rebooting the server might do it.

• Question

Are you using any third party tool?

Can you save the output of the jobs in

a file and see what it says?

Mike

• No 3rd party tools.  I can use the advance feature to put the output to a flat file and see if there is a completion to the job running.  Will try that.

thanks,

Joseph

• Is any proccess blocked , find out from sysprocesses tabes and if blocked then kill it manually , it will slove your issue.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply