Join methods and where clause

• Hello...

I've noticed something in my queries for which I cannot find much if any documentation. Hopefully one of the local gurus can explain.

If I have this basic Master/Detail query:

/*

This one uses a standard Left Join and Where clause.

*/

SELECT

MAS.id_Master,

MAS.Master,

DET.Detail

FROM

tblMaster MAS

LEFT JOIN tblDetail DET

ON MAS.id_Master = DET.id_Master

WHERE

Master.SomeOtherProperty = 100

Assuming one of the Master rows(Master5) contains no detail items in the Detail table - the query will NOT return a row containing Master5 and NULL for the detail.

However, if I change the exact same query to this - I in fact DO get the Master row and NULL details.

/*

This one uses a modified Left join and no where clause at all. The "where" portion becomes part of the Left join

*/

SELECT

MAS.id_Master,

MAS.Master,

DET.Detail

FROM

tblMaster MAS

LEFT JOIN tblDetail DET

ON MAS.id_Master = DET.id_Master

AND Master.ID_SomeOtherProperty = 100

Can anyone explian why they behave differently ??? Or better yet - show me somewhere in the SQL Server documentation details on this behavior.

Thanks in advance - B

• This isn't a SQL Server thing, it's a SQL thing. The join clause is used first to pick the rows, at which point the rows with Master(5) and null details will be in the result set. AFTER this, the WHERE clause is applied and the items with a Masterother property = 100 will the the ONLY items returned. IF one of these rows happens to have a null details, it should get returned. Otherwise it's dropped.

By moving to the ON clause, you keep that qualification in the join and not outside of the join.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

http://www.dkranch.net

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply