Jr vs Sr Developer

• Whats diff of job tasks between junior developer and senior sql developer u all would say? Thanks

• That pretty much depends on the work place, in my opinion. But a Senior should be much more well versed in the T-SQL language, as well as how the data engine works from the perspective of writing well performing SQL. A Junior will likely know the theory and the language, but not to such a high level, and likely have little practical experience.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• CoolKid40 wrote:

Whats diff of job tasks between junior developer and senior sql developer u all would say? Thanks

Thom is mostly right in that "It Depends" on the company but let me explain the dose of reality that you're going to find out there.  Let's first look at the following real job description (I got if off of Indeed.com just moments ago and it's fairly typical) and ask the question... is it for a Junior SQL Developer or a Senior SQL Developer?

Responsibilities

XYZ Equipment Company is seeking a full-time Database Developer at our corporate headquarters. The XYZ Database Developer will be responsible for producing business intelligence and exception reporting solutions as well as assist in data cleansing, integration and migration projects. This position will have the opportunity to research, develop and deliver innovative solutions to complex business issues. They will work with business stakeholders to identify key metrics and capture business logic required to transform raw data into actionable insights.

Responsibilities of this position consist of, but are not limited to:

Collaborate with business stakeholders to clarify and document reporting requirements

Design, develop and deploy reports and visualizations using Microsoft Power BI and SQL

Design, develop and deploy solutions to support data cleansing and migration efforts between various databases, platforms and file types.

Write and maintain technical documentation

Identify and research anomalies and outliers in data

Address and resolve issue tickets in a timely and professional manner

Maintain technical and user documentation related to all projects

Proactively identify and implement process improvements

Serve as back-up for business system support as needed

Maintains and protects confidential data with utmost scrutiny, judgment, and care

Incorporate XYZ’s Guiding Principles into daily activities

Perform other duties as assigned

Qualifications

Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major in Information Systems, Computer Science, or business-related field

Minimum two years of experience with SQL

Abilities and Skills

Understanding of relational database concepts and complex joins

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills

Strong team player with willingness to collaborate

Proficiency in multi-tasking and meeting sensitive deadlines in a fast-paced environment

Language skills: High - Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.

Mathematical skills: High - Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.

Reasoning ability: High - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.

Working experience with SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) and SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) is a plus

Experience with Microsoft Power BI is a plus

Experience with financial or accounting calculations is a plus

Physical Demands/Work Environment

Physical/Sensory Functions: Regularly will talk/hear; Frequently will sit; Occasionally will stand, walk, use hands, reach with hands and arms

Vision: Close vision, ability to adjust focus, ability to see color.

Lift and/or Move Functions: Regularly will lift up to 10 pounds; Frequently will lift up to 25 pounds; Occasionally will lift up to 50 pounds.

Work Environment: Will occasionally work near moving mechanical parts. Occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles

The truth is that it has all of the ear-markings and requirements of a Senior Database Developer.  The only possible give away here is that it states that you need at least 2 years of experience but even that frequently has nothing to do with the actual requirements.

Equally true is that this job is for a JUNIOR Sql Developer and the only thing I changed was the name of the company and a change of the job title from "JUNIOR SQL DEVELOPER" to just "SQL DEVELOPER".  Here's the actual link for the job (I don't know how long the link will last).

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=aedc84bd7c1dfbec&tk=1dop3innaouor801&from=serp&vjs=3

My point is that there is no difference in what you'll be doing.  You might be doing it with some supervision as a Junior, but you still need to know a lot of stuff because a lot of people don't even know what a Senior SQL Developer should be able to do with or without supervision.

Other than maybe having some additional supervision that a Senior might not have to suffer, the only other differences will be how much you're paid, what kind of occasional (or frequent) crap tasks they'll give you, and how much people trust you.  Most of the reason why a lot of companies advertise Junior positions is because they really want someone Senior but either don't want to pay the bucks for the position or they use Junior positions as a proving ground until you earn your stripes and become a Senior.

That being said, plan on the interviews being just as rigorous (but slightly more forgiving) as if they were trying to hire a Senior because that's what they really want... just for less money, at least to start with.

You should see what they want "Junior" DBAs or even "Senior" DBAs to do.

And with THAT being said, don't necessarily let these "everything including the kitchen sink" job descriptions scare you.  If you can do half or more what they have as requirements and can do some other stuff they haven't posted as a requirement but you like the company and want the job, remember that the answer is always "No" unless you go through the interview process.  Just NEVER tell a lie.  As a part of my cover letter, I'll typically include a table with their requirements and a percentage assessment (sometimes with comments) of where I think I stand on the requirements (and, yeah... sometimes it IS ZERO with the comment that I can learn it if it's a critical requirement).  I also extend that table with skills and requirements they haven't asked for.

And if you've beefed up (a PC expression for "lied") your resume with untruths or even stretches of the imagination, you will eventually fall on your own sword even after you get the job.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Hello, I am from a different culture, so my view might not be applicable.

A Junior, might expect some guidance from a Senior within the workforce. If the Junior encounters a problem, the Junior should be able to ask for guidance. And with the guidance solve or resolve the problem.

A Senior can be the highest ranking within a specific function and although he can consult others on a problem, the Senior is expected to be able to solve the problem him or herself. If a Senior is not capable of solving the problem (and he/she is the 'highest' ranking), the task is given back to the management. **)

This is my view, but for me Junior and Senior have something to do with ranking within a function and with expectancy of what one can solve.

Ben

**) Management can often have unsolvable request, 'like draw seven perpendicular lines'. A senior should be able to stand up 'against' management for this type of request.

• ben.brugman wrote:

**) Management can often have unsolvable request, 'like draw seven perpendicular lines'. A senior should be able to stand up 'against' management for this type of request.

I love that short flick.  7 Red lines all drawn perpendicular to each other... some of the Red lines are Blue, some are Green, and some are invisible.  Later on, they have to be in the shape of a cat.

As for the rest of your reply, that's what I always thought a "Junior" position should be.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply