Just a simple question

• Hi everyone.  My question is:  If I had a full database backup on Monday, a log backup on Tuesday, and a log backup on Wednesday and a drive fails on Thursday, I would need to restore the full backup, then the log backup of Tuesday and then the log backup of Wednesday, right?  Or does the log backup of Wednesday also contain the logs of Tuesday?  Thanks in advance for your help.

• You are correct in your first supposition -- you need to restore both Log backups.

REASON:  One of the things that log backups do is to signal to SQL Server that the logged information can now be overwritten in the log -- it is safely stored where it can be recovered as needed.  Without this, we would have to reboot SQL Server hourly on some significantly busy servers, as the log file would grow without limits (at least until the next full backup).

• Thank you very much!

• One very important thing to remember:

RESTORE the database using WITH NORECOVERY, the RESTORE the first log WITH NORECOVERY, then the last log using WITH RECOVERY.

Oh, second thing to remember....if your database 'goes down', try to backup the current Transaction Log. If you can back it up, you can RESTORE it last using WITH STOPAT and that will allow you to restore all the data right up to the time that the bad command, crash, whatever happened.

Refer to the Books OnLIne for more information.

-SQLBill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply