Just accepted a Sr. DBA job. Time for a gut check?

• Heartiest congrats. 🙂

I agree with all the people's comments. No one crack a three hour long interview without knowing anything. Remember you are not replacing the DBA but working with him ? At times, interviewer also checks what kind of variety you bring to the environment and probably thats what you are going to provide. You have been a mix of development plus administration [little bit] and knowledge on other dev stuff as well.

Also it will be a very good platform for you to learn new aspects of SQl and definitely the forum people [deifnitely me] would like to know about your challenges and how you overcame them

By best wishes with you. 🙂

• Congrats, your situation reminds me of myself so much. I have worked in one place for 10 years, VB.NET development and SQL I have created countless small scale internal and web based public facing applications from the days of ASP.NET 1.1. However I deal with so much different stuff day to day, its never the same, SQL, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, ASP, Webservices, ASP.NET, Business Objects, Microsoft Access, XML Interface work.. I have become certified developer on our call Management software VMWare...I have always enjoyed the variety in my job but it means I never had the time to become a real expert in particular areas. (I want to have fun outside of work as well 🙂 ). My place doesnt invest much in training so I have picked up a lot learning as I go.

Im thinking of moving to another country so I thought I would dip my toe in the job market, do a few interviews get some practice.

I had my first job interview a week ago and it was like going back to school for an exam, they were not interested in my achievements, or talking to my boss or the IT director who would tell them how valuable I have been and what good work I have produced. They asked a string of in depth specific syntax related questions, It was a real shock to me... I havent got enough room in my head to remember everything I have ever done on the job, I surround myself with a bookcase full of reference material or google , or management studio, or Code snipits answers my questions in five minutes if I get stuck on something.

I thought that all my work I had done to create real world business solutions would be the experience that wanted, but it wasnt.. they wanted someone who has spent the last month studying around the clock for a Microsoft Certification Exam.

I am happy to see there are some employers out there that still give a more rounded interview, I was worried they would all be these exam like situations.

As some others said, spend the first month at home every night going through things you did that day or you expect to do tomorrow. Good luck hope it works out well for u

• Half the fun of a new job is learning new things. Dive in and expand your horizons. Risk = reward. If you really think you'll fail, keep in touch with your old company for a while (if you have a good relationship with them after leaving) and if things start going badly let them know you'd consider coming back (obviously don't say it's because you're failing).

• Paranoia is a good thing. It heightens awareness.

I think it's time for a beer, not a gut check.

Congratulations.

(p.s. exercise is a good for stress management. I do kick boxing and it's amazing how much beating the crap out of a punching bag makes you feel better.)

Bob
    SuccessWare Software

• First of all, in my 4 years of log relationship with SSC, i havent seen any newbie writing such a long post :-D.it clearly showing that you know that what and where you are writing this ?.On the contrary, the original post seems to me full of enthusiasm and young blood (not a single sign of pessimism).

By thoroughly studying your views, i found you "happy to work/help" kind of person. and believe me i often see that these kind of people always make them confortable/adjustable in any environment. its ture that there will be days or some people who will darg to you down but as the time passes, things wil get improved.

in one liner , i must say i found your much excited about your new role rather then confused 🙂

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Sorry, not to rain on the parade, but to me now is not the time to celebrate.

Getting the job is good, but it's just the start.

Dedicate yourself to this job for 3 months, and succeed, and then you can truly celebrate.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• ScottPletcher (3/7/2013)

Sorry, not to rain on the parade, but to me now is not the time to celebrate.

Dedicate yourself to this job for 3 months, and succeed, and then you can truly celebrate.

Has to be one in every crowd.

Good luck on the new job. From the looks of things you will do well.

• Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)

ScottPletcher (3/7/2013)

After defeating Nazi Germany, Winston Churchill said:

"We may allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing; but let us not forget for a moment the toil and efforts that lie ahead."

If he can be level-headed enough to think that way after the greatest victory in human history, I don't think it's a bad idea to offer practical advice rather than do pure gladhanding over a new job.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• ScottPletcher (3/7/2013)

Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)

ScottPletcher (3/7/2013)

After defeating Nazi Germany, Winston Churchill said:

"We may allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing; but let us not forget for a moment the toil and efforts that lie ahead."

If he can be level-headed enough to think that way after the greatest victory in human history, I don't think it's a bad idea to offer practical advice rather than do pure gladhanding over a new job.

Defeating Hitler, getting a new job. Nope don't see the comparision. Plus, the OP is already feeling the tripidation of a new job, no need to add to it. Seems level headed enough for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply