Just For Fun: An Impossible Delete

• Aaron Cabrele (10/31/2009)

It says no additional identity column so that doesn't outrule the hidden one that already exists... As for adding a guid it depends on how strictly you say what is an identity column - is that simply a column with the identity property, therefor any other column like uniqueidentifier can be added?...!

I love the way, once most or all possibilities are exhausted, we try and re-interpret the question, bend

the rules...

LOL. Well, the objective is to find the simplest solution within the rules given. As with any game or puzzle, a large part of the solution is knowing what the boundaries really are.

• Barry, someone sent me this link again, although I'd read it the last time around, and your description of the problem got me to reminiscing. It takes me back to the days of fixed file extents on disk. Probably the primary reason why you had to do an update in place was that the rest of the disk was spoken for. If things were really tight though, you might even have written a loop to de-dupe one set of identical rows at a time. There were so many hardware limitations to work around, and I'd all but forgotten them. Thanks for taking me back to the "bad old days".

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Maybe I'm missing something, but the query the original poster was looking for is simple with the appropriate GROUP BY and HAVING clauses.

SELECT Name, Age, Sex

FROM Source

GROUP BY Name, Age, Sex

HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

This ensures that the output from the query includes only a row for duplicate rows. Note no row will be output for a unique row.

• This would select (or delete) everything that is duplicated. The requirement was to delete only the first occurrence of a duplicate, or the only occurrence of any unique rows.

The "first" is obviously irrelevant given there is no order and they are duplicates so I read that as "one of"

JLSSCH (11/1/2009)

Maybe I'm missing something, but the query the original poster was looking for is simple with the appropriate GROUP BY and HAVING clauses.

SELECT Name, Age, Sex

FROM Source

GROUP BY Name, Age, Sex

HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

This ensures that the output from the query includes only a row for duplicate rows. Note no row will be output for a unique row.

• I have not seen this solution in the above list. Not fancy, but performs the initial request to delete duplicate rows leaving the initial entry, with minimal resource impact (especialy disk space) and no cursors, additional table/column, while not modifying the data?????:

DECLARE @NM VARCHAR(50), @Age TINYINT, @Sex CHAR(1);

SELECT @NM=Name, @Age = Age, @Sex = Sex

FROM dbo.xSource

GROUP BY Name, Age, Sex

HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

WHILE @NM IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

DELETE TOP (1)

FROM dbo.xSource

WHERE Name = @NM AND Age = @Age AND Sex = @Sex

SELECT @NM = NULL

SELECT @NM=Name, @Age = Age, @Sex = Sex

FROM dbo.xSource

GROUP BY Name, Age, Sex

HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

END

• Great article. I really liked the 'go back to the 70' part.

Sometimes when I see how stuff is done just because the computer can handle the load it drives me nuts.

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

• Great one....

• Thanks for your comments. The following modified solution works when you use the row_number() function to number the rows in an output query.

For the following query, the output for "row_number() over (order by name) as ident" will produce a column with the name of "ident" and a monotonically increasing integer value starting with 1. This is functionally the same as an identity column with a seed of 1!

select name, age, sex, row_number() over (order by name) as ident

from #temp

Here is the complete script:

create table #temp

(

name varchar(4),

age int,

sex varchar(1)

)

insert #temp

select 'ABC',24,'M'

union all

select 'ABC',24,'M'

union all

select 'LMN', 27, 'M'

union all

select 'LMN', 27, 'M'

union all

select 'LMN', 27, 'M'

union all

select 'PQRS', 25, 'F'

union all

select 'XYZ', 24, 'M'

union all

select 'XYZ', 25, 'M'

select a.name, a.age, a.sex, a.ident

from

(

from #temp

) a

inner join

(

select b.name, b.age, b.sex, min(b.ident) as ident

from

(

from #temp

) b

group by b.name, b.age, b.sex

having count(*) > 1

) c on a.name = c.name and a.age = c.age and a.sex = c.sex and a.ident > c.ident

drop table #temp

The desired output that is obtained from executing this script is:

ABC 24 M 2

LMN 27 M 4

LMN 27 M 5

I hope that this helps.

• One final update to my solution. Using CTE's, the output query is much easier to understand.

Here is the complete script:

create table #temp

(

name varchar(4),

age int,

sex varchar(1)

)

insert #temp

select 'ABC',24,'M'

union all

select 'ABC',24,'M'

union all

select 'LMN', 27, 'M'

union all

select 'LMN', 27, 'M'

union all

select 'LMN', 27, 'M'

union all

select 'PQRS', 25, 'F'

union all

select 'XYZ', 24, 'M'

union all

select 'XYZ', 25, 'M';

with tmp

as

(

from #temp

)

select a.name, a.age, a.sex, a.ident

from tmp a inner join

(

select b.name, b.age, b.sex, min(b.ident) as ident

from tmp b

group by b.name, b.age, b.sex

having count(*) > 1

) c on a.name = c.name and a.age = c.age and a.sex = c.sex and a.ident > c.ident

drop table #temp

The desired output that is obtained from executing this script is:

ABC 24 M 2

LMN 27 M 4

LMN 27 M 5

• hmi (10/30/2009)

Good brain training but are the restrictions as mentioned realistic? Which company would definitely not want to use a temp table or table variable?

Quite right, it's really just brain training. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• honza.mf (10/30/2009)

Phil Factor (8/5/2008)

Surely this is the simplest solution? (be warned of a nasty catch when creating these 'quirky updates'. the order of execution of the update is -variable assignments first then column assignments-both left to right!)

Very nice solution.

I Just prefer little change, it's more readable

[font="Courier New"]--create the sample table

DECLARE @Sample TABLE (TheName VARCHAR(4),Identifier INT, sex VARCHAR(1))

INSERT INTO @Sample (TheName,Identifier,Sex)

SELECT 'ABC', 24, 'M' UNION ALL

SELECT 'ABC', 24,'M' UNION ALL

SELECT 'LMN', 27, 'M' UNION ALL

SELECT 'PQRS', 25, 'F' UNION ALL

SELECT 'XYZ', 24, 'M' UNION ALL

SELECT 'XYZ', 25, 'M'

DECLARE @hash VARCHAR(80), @sex VARCHAR(1)

UPDATE @sample

SET

@sex=CASE WHEN COALESCE(@hash,'')

<>TheName+CONVERT(VARCHAR(5),Identifier)+sex

THEN 'd' ELSE SEX END,

@hash= TheName+CONVERT(VARCHAR(5),Identifier)+sex,

Sex = @sex

DELETE FROM @sample WHERE sex='d'

SELECT * FROM @sample[/font]

The quirky update trick isn't really reliable without a Clustered index. For instance, when I execute you code, thi sis what I get:

TheName Identifier sex

------- ----------- ----

ABC 24 M

LMN 27 M

LMN 27 M

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Stephen.Richardson (10/30/2009)

-- Step 1 Get list of only DUPLICATE rows

INSERT INTO xSource (Name, Age, Sex)

SELECT '~'+Name, Age, Sex FROM xSource GROUP BY Name, Age, Sex Having COUNT(*) > 1

The problem is that this will fail if someone's name is already using all 50 characters (not unheard of). Otherwise I would have used this approach myself. 🙂

[/font]

• skjoldtc (10/30/2009)

Thanks for the memories. A time when storage and memory was rare and expensive and you had to really know how the guts of the operating system, disk system, and memory allocation worked. Some of the old techniques are still useful today.

Great article and a great solution. 😎

Thanks!

[/font]

• jghali (10/30/2009)

Funny how this article just came out today... I was actually on a similar thread last week and someone came up with a great solution...

My personal opinion the article is interesting but ... hmmm...

How about these solutions from this thread...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic793765-145-1.aspx

There's an undocumented identity key for every row of any table that can be used... in one simple delete statement you can delete the duplicate rows...

I was amazed...

Check it out.

Thanks

I am familiar with that thread (in fact I think that I am posted there), however, 1) it came out long after this article was originally published (15 months ago) and 2) those internal IDs are a lot hard to use than you might think, esp. given the restrictions. For instance, how would you propose using them to solve this problem?

[/font]

• arms.dan (10/30/2009)

Your off-hand comment about naming the field "Gender" rather than "Sex" piqued my curiosity. Why? As I understand the words, sex means biological differences: chromosomes and sexual organs. Gender refers to the characteristics a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine. There's some blurring of the definitions, but I think they generally hold. So why do you prefer Gender for the column label?

In English "Sex" can also be a verb, thus leading to the joke about filling forms where is says "Sex[_]" with "Y". The PC way to stop this is to change the field name to "Gender[_]".

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 156 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply