Just Installed, Unable to Authenticate into SSMS

• How are you starting SQL server single user mode. What command are you using?

Honestly I wouldn't mess with single user at this time you do not have the experience. If you're really having problems pm me and we'll chat further. Always willing to help a newcomer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ๐Ÿ˜‰

• MS Sql Server Installation Make Easy should help

-lucky

• Thanks Lucky, it's quite possible that I missed it, however I didn't find anything on that site that applied.

Do you guys think I should just uninstall and install again? I was trying to hold out on because the install took so doggone long to complete. Thanks.

• vadon97 (1/29/2011)

2011-01-28 16:03:58.06 Logon Error: 18461, Severity: 14, State: 1.

2011-01-28 16:03:58.06 Logon Login failed for user 'HPXP1\AG'. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

2011-01-28 16:07:18.11 Logon Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8.

2011-01-28 16:07:18.11 Logon Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

Just noticed actually, is there something else running on the machine thats using up the single connection to the instance. It also clearly indicates that the password you are supplying is not the password originally entered, did you have CAPS lock enabled at the time?

If it would be easier to uninstall and then reinstall, then go for it. Pay special attention to each step of the installer and note the passwords and accounts you provision into the instance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (1/30/2011)

vadon97 (1/29/2011)

2011-01-28 16:03:58.06 Logon Error: 18461, Severity: 14, State: 1.

2011-01-28 16:03:58.06 Logon Login failed for user 'HPXP1\AG'. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

2011-01-28 16:07:18.11 Logon Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8.

2011-01-28 16:07:18.11 Logon Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

Just noticed actually, is there something else running on the machine thats using up the single connection to the instance. It also clearly indicates that the password you are supplying is not the password originally entered, did you have CAPS lock enabled at the time?

If it would be easier to uninstall and then reinstall, then go for it. Pay special attention to each step of the installer and note the passwords and accounts you provision into the instance

I keep pointing that out, the instance needs to start up normally before he can connect no matter what account he is using. You get one connection under single user mode.

• no, he just needs to find out what is using the single user connection and kill it

• That's not a long term solution since you will want the server to start up normally after all this. Looking at the event logs it had trouble registering the SPN so he's going to have troubles later if he tries to test applications using impersonation.

Just figuring out the single admin piece is only part of it. I'd bet if the other services are disabled and stopped like the SQL Agent in SQL Config Mgr that's what's grabbing the connection.

SQL Server has a good install routine and since your evaluating it it's probably good to run few a few installs anyways to get familiar with the product. At this point you have spent a lot of time troubleshooting if i were you I'd get a good step by step intall guide, uninstall what you have going and do a few new installs.

• do not startup the instance in single user mode by adding -m or -f to the startup options for the SQL Server service itself. You should stop all services, open a command prompt and navigate to the Binn directory for the instance you wish to service. From the command prompt use

c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\binn\>sqlservr -c -m

SQL Server will start single user, open a second command window and do not minimize the window with the running executable. In the second command prompt window launch the following

sqlcmd -Sinstancename

This will grab the single user connection to SQL Server and allow you to add users and map them to the sysadmin server role.

create login [domain\user] from windows

or for a sql account

create login [newsa] with password = 'P@ssw0rd1', CHECK_POLICY = OFF

Then

exec sp_addsrvrolemember 'newsa', 'sysadmin'

When finished close sqlcmd and exit the running process in the first command window. Restart SQL Server normally and login using the new sysadmin account

• I uninstalled and tried to reinstall SQL Server. (Sorry Perry, I had already done this before I saw your new post here, however please let me know if trying what you're suggesting may still help me now.)

This time, I took note of my settings on the Server Configuration->Service Accounts tab, I had NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM designated for the Server Agent, Server Database Engine, and SSIS.

On the Database Engine Configuration->Account Provisioning tab, I selected Mixed Mode and Added the Current user (me) as a server admin.

After the install was going for a while I got my first error: โ€œThe following error has occurred: An error occurred during the installation of assembly โ€˜Microsoft.SqlServer.ASTaskUI, fileVersion= โ€œ10.0.1600.22โ€โ€ฆ.Please refer to Help and Support for more information.โ€

I clicked ok and the install continued for a while, then I got an error message with the triangle image and the exclamation point in it stating โ€œThe following error has occurred: Access is deniedโ€. I clicked ok on that error and the install continued to completion, then the Installation Progress screen says that Database Engine Services, Client Tools Connectivity, Management Tools-Complete, Client Tools SDK and Client Tools Backward Comatibility all failed.

After another 3 minutes of so, I go the โ€œSQL Server 2008 Setup has encountered an errorโ€ฆโ€

I have no idea what to do now, Iโ€™ve now tried to install this thing twice to no avail. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

• vadon97

This time, I took note of my settings on the Server Configuration->Service Accounts tab, I had NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM designated for the Server Agent, Server Database Engine, and SSIS.

This is not important at this time

vadon97

On the Database Engine Configuration->Account Provisioning tab, I selected Mixed Mode and Added the Current user (me) as a server admin.

You haven't mentioned anything about the SA password you supplied.

Are trying to re use the same instance name, run the installer and supply a new instance name?

• I know for sure I entered a password for the Sys admin account on the Database Engine Configuration->Account Provisioning tab in the setup wizard, because I wrote it down after I entered it.

Since I had uninstalled and reinstall SQL Server, it allowed me to use the default instance name during the installation.

The one common denominator I noticed from both install attempts, is that at the summary screens of both installs, I got "Access Denied" (there was no further information provided). I don't know why I'm getting this error, or whether or not it's relevant, but I am logged in as a user that is a local admin on the machine.

• Details will be provided in the setup log, it gives you the path and filename to this log on the failure screen

• also what operating system are you using on the machine you are installing sql server on to

• I won't be at my machine for a few hours to look at the log. What's the directory that this log you're speaking of normally resides?

The OS is Windows XP SP3

• probably be something along the lines of

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

the setup failure will display the log file name and path!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply