Just Walk Away - Blacklisting - and Twits without Twitter

• Going back to the thoughts of the OP and coming from the “other side of the fence”, in that I ask more questions than give answers; I feel that it would be a great shame if there were to be a black list. I normally only post questions when BOL, Google, my own book collection etc haven’t give the answer to my problem.

I am sure that I am one of many who do ask some dumb questions from time to time (but then all questions are easy when you know the answer). I would like to say a huge thanks to the kind hearted people who take the time to answer numpties like me.

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Stuart Davies (11/16/2009)

...in that I ask more questions than give answers;

There's nothing wrong with asking questions. That's what the forum is here for. The problem is that there are people who will ask questions that a simple google search will find, or questions that can be answered in a minute using Books Online.

Recent example:

"What do the following options on backup database do? <several options for backup database>"

That could trivially have been answered by simply opening books online. There are people who ask that kind of question again and again and again, showing they are not interested in researching for themselves or doing any work whatsoever. A couple questions like that from one person are ok, when someone's asking stuff like that again and again for weeks on end, there's a problem.

The other thing that gets people irritated is when someone posts a question and makes it very clear that they just want an answer. No discussion, no debate, they refuse to give extra information. Basically a "just do it for me, don't make me think' attitude.

Questions that have had some research done, questions where the OP is interested in a discussion, those are fine and no one's going to blacklist anyone for posting that kind of question.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I was shocked to see renewed activity in this thread. I thought it was ancient history.

Don't worry, Stuart. There is no blacklist, and never will be. As Gail said, the whole purpose of the forum is to answer questions. However, since we are all volunteers, most of us hope to be treated with the respect and consideration we extend to those we are trying to help.

Some people abuse the system in various ways and we each decide for ourselves who we will help or ignore based on our prior experiences. But if you are civil and willing to do your share of the work, you will always find any number of people here ready to help you.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Gift Peddie (4/7/2009)

The US is not any better my experience here is still the same, VB code is run when I step into presentations one pesky problem I don't write VB.

:-DThat gains you brownie points in my book. No-one should write VB :alien: (and Excel should acquire a decent macro language to replace it).

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply