Keeping Backups leveled off.

• Hello,

I hope somebody here will be able to give me a little advice. I have a DB backing up on a regular basis, but I cannot seem to find a way of only keeping 7 days worth, and deleting anything older than that. Am I missing something in maintenance wizard?

We have SQL 2005 fully SP'd, running on a 2003 member server, fully SP'd.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind Regards,

D.

• Sounds like you didn't select the Maintenance Cleanup Task when using the wizard. This task will delete the files of the disk after a specified amount of time. If you've already created the maintenance plan you can edit it and add the task

• Hello,

Thanks for getting back.

I did put in a cleanup task as the last task in the plan, I selected Backup Files for 'delete file of the following type, under 'search folder and delete files based on extension' is pointing to the correct location of the backups, I have tried it with and without 'Include first-level subfolders' ticked and the file ext is .BAK and ticked the 'file age' box along with 'delete files older than the following' and chose 1 week.

But the backups keep building up. I'm not sure what I can do.

Regards,

D,

• well i am not sure totally, but try using only "BAK" and not ".BAK"

Again: did you make any changes to the JOB's outside the Maintenance Wizard, if you did, This probably Breaks the JOB with the PLAN. If you can remote into the SQL Server BOX, then use the maintenance Plan wizard.

Other might have Diff OPINION's, but this is what i have been going through and working with... to solve the issues.

Whats your SQL Server version/Edition/ and Patch.

• Hello,

I did make some changes outside of the wizard now you mention it, does that have such a big effect on it? We are running 9.00.3050.00 SP2 standard edition.

Regards,

D.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply