Keeping Engaged

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Keeping Engaged

• You looking for a new job then Steve 🙂

• I was at one position in one company from 1992 to 2002.

After that I am on other position in other company. The company was renamed, but it's that same one. Our product was renamed, but it's that same one. My work is sometimes boring, but I don't want to change it just now.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
    © Dr.Plch

• I have been working for the same company since I graduated from college in 1985 in IT. I have moved up from Computer Operator to the Database Admin group starting working with Datacom and DB2 in 1993. In 1996 we got our first SQL Server running on NT 3.5 SQL Server 6.0 and I have been a SQL Server DBA here ever since. We now have hundreds of prod dbs on 40+ servers.

• I don't expect to ever work anywhere for ten years, but maybe I'll be surprised, who knows? As for the 'make work fun' bit, I think everyone (at least the 'everyone' I've encountered) misses the point, you're not supposed to screw off and have a mini-golf tournament in the middle of the day, wasting time and making everyone's deadlines that much closer. You're supposed to find ways to reward the daily, boring, grinding work by creating fun incentives to get it done more efficiently, making a game out of it so that it becomes less boring, rewarding the 'boring' behaviour so that people don't mind it so much, etc. "Whistle while you work", to quote some short guys I saw in a movie once.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• For the "make work fun" I have a simple example. I suggested my boss during one of our meetings to create a new category of tasks "Funny for developper". And when planning the tasks use this as one of the weights (importance, customers strength, money). 🙂

My suggestion was accepted but not realized yet 🙁

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
    © Dr.Plch

• I do agree with your point. However, I think one should be careful how he/she approaches the manager on this. You do not want to give the impression that there is not enough work to do and plant the thought there may not be a need for a full-time DBA. Whatever you do, you still need to make sure it's adding value to the company.

• Never love your company because you never know when the company will stop loving you.

Thats what I follow.

Being in one job for years is always no no for me. I changed my job every year or less than that when I was bachelor but now after marriage, there are some additional responsibilities so I have to think again,again and again before making such decision. But I always keep trying for improvement in my skills and I beleive that skills is directly propotional to perks(salary). So its you who decide what skills you have and what perks you should be getting with that much skills.

I feel that being in one job is just like treating the office as home.

----------
    Ashish

• jcrawf02 (8/17/2010)

I don't expect to ever work anywhere for ten years, but maybe I'll be surprised, who knows?

I never expected to work at any one place for 10 years either. But I actually managed it this year in July in my current position. What keeps me here? A very good group of people to work with. A boss that gives me projects and assignments and then steps back. I am free to build solutions or solve issues on my own. As long as the project is completed or the issue resolved and the agency or department I am helping is happy, I get to do it....my way. That allows me to provide "fun" ways to solve things...keeps me happy...and challenged.

• I think the workgroup has more to do with your continued desire to stay somewhere than anything else. Environments that are supportive, well communicated to, and have clear goals have huge advantages over high-turnover, "dynamic," "crisis-driven" opportunities. When people support the group; Top-to-bottom, and back up again, Everyone is on board, learning is almost a given. It doesn't mean the crisis never happen, but it also means that when something does blow up, more people can contribute to the resolution, and maybe it isn't as severe as it "could" be!

Thanks Steve!

• I like my job, and mostly because I deal with all of you on a regular basis, way more than I work with people in my company. They're fine too, but they're just as far away from my as most of you.

Fun at work doesn't mean playing golf or throwing darts. It means getting work that's more interesting, more engaging, to work on. You do want to approach managers carefully, but it's not about having free time in your day. It's about shutting down your mind, or burning out, with boring work. It's about finding other more interesting work that does benefit the company and breaks up your day.

• There are a couple of cliches that really fit this topic.

1. "The more things change, the more they stay the same" - My company is always trying to stay current with technology and industry standards, but it becomes the same old thing over and over. And the politics never seem to change, even though management changes every few years.

2. "The grass is not always greener" - after staying with an employer for several years and becoming bored, disillusioned, etc., I went to another job. While the technical aspect of the job was great, the political environment was so stifling that I wanted to pull my hair out and left just shy of 6 months. Next, I went to work with some great people who I had worked with before, but there were the same politics that you see everywhere, and not enough work to keep me busy enough.

Ultimately, I ended up back where I came from, and even after 2 years of being back here, I'm so grateful to be back that I will never forget what my other experiences were like. I have learned to laugh when new management comes in and wants to change everything to make us better. When I'm so busy I can't see straight, I remind myself of the time when I was so bored I would go shopping (ICK!!) in the middle of the day just to have something to do.

As long as you enjoy the people you work with and the work you do, there is nothing wrong with sticking with a place for many years. I would imagine that most places will give you opportunities to learn and do other things that interest you. You can move to different projects or areas almost as easily as you can move between employers

• ashish.kuriyal (8/17/2010)

Never love your company because you never know when the company will stop loving you.

Thats what I follow.

Being in one job for years is always no no for me. I changed my job every year or less than that when I was bachelor but now after marriage, there are some additional responsibilities so I have to think again,again and again before making such decision. But I always keep trying for improvement in my skills and I beleive that skills is directly propotional to perks(salary). So its you who decide what skills you have and what perks you should be getting with that much skills.

I feel that being in one job is just like treating the office as home.

Gotta tell you Ashish, if I was recruiting (which I'm not) I'd have to think again, again and again before employing you :w00t:

Dave.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/17/2010)

It's about shutting down your mine.

Gad Steve...now I know why you are always smiling....:-D

You are definately improving my work place!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply