Key Items

• How do you set a key in a table create that only allows the first occurance to be written to a table. I have a file that sometimes has duplicate records.

Thanks.rocko

• Not sure if I have fully understood your question, but the normal way to avoid duplicate rows is to use primary keys. The code is:

alter table <table name>

add constraint <object name> primary key (<column name>)

Hope it helps.

• Here is an example. I want to have two fields as primary keys. Do I just add

Primary key as stated ?

SELECT distinct

TOP 100 PERCENT

[Client ID] Primary Key,

[Account Number] Primary Key, [Proj Black 1% Depr Month],

[Proj Black Str Adj],

[Proj Black Sea Adj],

[Black Book Straight Proj Loss],

[Black Book Seasonal Proj Loss],

into ProjGLClient

FROM dbo.CLNTtemp5

ORDER BY [Client ID], [Account Number]

• ROCKO, not quite sure what you're going for here...

To set up a multi-column primary key, check BOL ALTER TABLE help article...gives examples of the ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT statement with more than onme referenced column.

To check to see if a table has more than 1 of a key (for instance, to check if a proposed primary key is viable), run something like this:

SELECT KeyColumn1, KeyColumn2, COUNT(*)
    FROM MyTable
    GROUP BY KeyColumn1, KeyColumn2
    HAVING COUNT(*) > 1
  • Thanks Jpipes. Rocko

• If you only need to keep the first record from a set of duplicates, you might want to create a unique index on the logical primary key fields with the 'IGNORE_DUP_KEY' index option.

Following are details from BOL.

IGNORE_DUP_KEY:

Controls what happens when an attempt is made to insert a duplicate key value into a column that is part of a unique clustered index. If IGNORE_DUP_KEY was specified for the index and an INSERT statement that creates a duplicate key is executed, SQL Server issues a warning and ignores the duplicate row.

If IGNORE_DUP_KEY was not specified for the index, SQL Server issues an error message and rolls back the entire INSERT statement.

• Thanks.Rocko

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply