Kindle for Business Use

• After reading about the CEO of Amazon apologizing for the removal of 1984 and Animal Farm from Kindles, I started thinking about the practicality of a Kindle in my IT department. The FAQ's on Amazon say that most books from Amazon allow you to share the book with 6 Kindles that are registered to your account.

My question is whether anyone out there is using the Kindle in their department at work or is it mostly implemented for personal use?

If you can share books with 6 Kindles, I'm thinking a small department could get away with 2 Kindles and share the IT books. The main purpose would be to clear shelf space, and possibly save money on books. If the Kindle versions of books aren't cheaper than printed books, maybe the saving money part isn't really true. Also, as tech books become outdated, and it'd be easier to simply delete a book than watch it collect dust on the shelf while you try to figure out what to do with it.

Thanks for your feedback.

• I would make a list of all the titles your department needs and check to see if there is Kindle copy of each book because I know in .NET Richter does not provide ebook however I think you may find his titles in some online libraries, I know he was not on books 24/7. So make your list and check each title for Kindle availability.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I'd compare prices on books for sure, as suggested, to see what the savings are.

The hassles of sharing, might not be worth it, but it is handy to be able to reference things easily, and in a flat surface (no bracing the pages open).

There's also the Kindle on iTouch, so you wouldn't necessarily need to share on the devices themselves. I hope Amazon ports to other devices, and I bet they will with the B&N announcement.

I had a Kindle 1, and I saw a Kindle 2 last week. The "2" definitely shows screen shots and images better, but still not great. They get fuzzy at times, and are harder to read. I worry about that for technical books, though I expect that will change over time.

The B&N reader is available for Blackberry and PC as well. I'd try that, download some samples and see what you think.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply