Laptop life span

• Ok I am assuming there is a comprehension problem here data is just part of what is lost recovery from data pedestrian. While code is not so simple.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (7/24/2009)

Ok I am assuming there is a comprehension problem here data is just part of what is lost recovery from data pedestrian. While code is not so simple.

I dont think I quite understand, Code is simply data if you could recover all your data then why are you not able to recover all your code?

• It is not so simple to open and use code going back years after fresh install of development tools, missing dll errors, add in .NET framework version issues, service packs and it gets very complicated. I think the Ghost software suggestion is the only alternative to source control that is running in a USB drive. And the later does not exist because most companies just run source controls in clustered expensive boxes.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Acronis True Image could help you, but you'd still have the hardware drivers to deal with.

It isn't simple, but two years isn't that long. If the development environment is that important, then you have to treat it as important. You document what you install, and you keep backups of it. You might even need to move to a VM to develop in so you can port that to another machine.

Ok I am assuming there is a comprehension problem here data is just part of what is lost recovery from data pedestrian. While code is not so simple.

No comprehension problem, you are blaming Toshiba for your failure to properly protect your work should you experience a hardware failure.

Do I have it right?

• No comprehension problem, you are blaming Toshiba for your failure to properly protect your work should you experience a hardware failure.

Do I have it right?

Actually no data backup is just data it is not the same as whole system recovery.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Acronis True Image could help you, but you'd still have the hardware drivers to deal with.

It isn't simple, but two years isn't that long. If the development environment is that important, then you have to treat it as important. You document what you install, and you keep backups of it. You might even need to move to a VM to develop in so you can port that to another machine.

Thanks for that I just read it is better than Ghost so I will test drive it and buy it latter.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

No comprehension problem, you are blaming Toshiba for your failure to properly protect your work should you experience a hardware failure.

Do I have it right?

Actually no data backup is just data it is not the same as whole system recovery.

I'm sensing a lack of comprehension from the other direction. Protecting your system from a hardware failure is MORE than just backing up the data. It is also backing up your entire environement or having everything you need handy to rebuild it if necessary. If you haven't done that, it isn't the fault of the computer manufacturer should there be a failure.

It all comes back to personal responsibility.

• I dont think you can blame Toshiba for a lack of source control, as there a plenty of source control solutions that will happily run from a low-grade server

• It all comes back to personal responsibility.

And the FTC and consumer organizations demands and gets compliance from most hardware makers depending on volume of such complaints.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• dont think I quite understand, Code is simply data if you could recover all your data then why are you not able to recover all your code?

I dont think you can blame Toshiba for a lack of source control, as there a plenty of source control solutions that will happily run from a low-grade server

So the distinction leads to the need of a separate system not just backup, I can bet that will require disclosure by hardware vendors under existing consumer protection laws.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

dont think I quite understand, Code is simply data if you could recover all your data then why are you not able to recover all your code?

I dont think you can blame Toshiba for a lack of source control, as there a plenty of source control solutions that will happily run from a low-grade server

So the distinction leads to the need of a separate system not just backup, I can bet that will require disclosure by hardware vendors under existing consumer protection laws.

Where do you come up with that logic?? Toshiba is responsible for providing you with a system level backup of your system?? That is your responsibility. If you fail to do that and there is a failure it isn't the manufacturers fault.

Two simple questions I would ask ask an attorney or judge, "How many hardware failures did your laptop experience in the past 2+ years?," and "What steps did you take to mitigate the risk of a system failure?"

dont think I quite understand, Code is simply data if you could recover all your data then why are you not able to recover all your code?

Maybe its because it is Friday Afternoon here and i am not completly with it but I am not sure what you mean?

If you are developing software, databases or really doing anything that is business critical to have incase of a Hardware failure then you should be backing up to a seperate system.

If you have a laptop for personal use only then it could be sufficent to backup locally, it all depends on the level of protection that you or your business require..

• Two simple questions I would ask ask an attorney or judge, "How many hardware failures did your laptop experience in the past 2+ years?," and "What steps did you take to mitigate the risk of a system failure?"

It all comes back to personal responsibility.

If you asked that I would have given you answers to when I made structural changes to the system, you instead said the above. Which is usual the nebulous expression thrown around by vendors of sub standard products. I just missed the last Toshiba judgment and may join the Office Depot class.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Say good night Gracie.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply