latest sql server 2005 patch

• Please advice me, now we are using service pack1, what is the latest service pack i can upgrade and has all the issues been recitified.

Thanks

• You can search the Microsoft site and you'll see SP2 available. It was released last summer. There were some bugs and I'd apply cumulative update 3 post SP2. Not sure about 4 or 5 at this point.

Is this 32-bit or 64-bit?

• There's even a cumulative update 6 now 🙂 I've tried it out and haven't yet seen any ill effects but I'm not using the full gamut of SQL Server features. The hotfix rollup pages at microsoft have very detailed information on what's fixed. I went searching for the rollup because it fixed a problem with Excel 2007 and Analysis Services in SP2 but there are many searches for various errors that'll lead you to the rollup package.

• The minimum build level you should consider is SP2 plus CU1. SP2 fixed many issues but introduced some new bugs that were resolved in CU1.

Now that MS are delivering a CU about every 2 months, I recommend you plan to upgrade SQL Server probably twice each year, and upgrade to a recent CU level (4, 5 or 6). This can be a regular task in your calendar - it is often easier to get time to do this type of work if it has a schedule than if it has to be fitted in when MS see fit to release a SP.

It is good to look at KB937137 about once a month to see what the latest fix status is.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• You can list the issues which you want to fix or check on the latest SP or CU for the bugs/problems fixed in those. Without knowing the problem it is really hard to say wether this will be fixed by applying latest SP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply