LDF File size get increased

• Hello Experts,

While ceating database we have one mdf and one ldf file has been created.

When doing certain operation like insert update delete in application,at that time LDF size has been get increased and after completion its went into normal size.

I want to know is there any limitation LDF file size?

Because i have notice if im doing some operation in application side then udf size get increased tremendoulsy up to 4 GB and then that task not completed.

Please guide me about the LDF file, so that i can get about the conclusion about my problem.

Regards,

AKM

• Take a look through this article - http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/64582/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • what error message are you getting?

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Thanks for the reply, Article is really very helpful.

In my case actually im doing one update operation in database through one appplication. I have noted that when CPU Usage is 100% then its get stuck.

Can you please let me know actually what to do in such cases, so that i can overcome this problem.

Please guide me.

Regards,

AKM

• What does CPU at 100% have to do with logs growing? Sorry, but there's just not enough info here to really say much

btw, if the log files are shrinking, then you've either got autoshrink on, or you're manually shrinking. You should be doing neither. If autoshrink is on, turn it off.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/2/2010)

What does CPU at 100% have to do with logs growing? Sorry, but there's just not enough info here to really say much

btw, if the log files are shrinking, then you've either got autoshrink on, or you're manually shrinking. You should be doing neither. If autoshrink is on, turn it off.

Based on the info you have given to Gail so far I would guess that your next questions is 'how do i turn of auto shrink?' Answer: run the script below inserting your database name over the {..}.

USE [master]

ALTER DATABASE [{DATABASE_NAME_HERE}] SET AUTO_SHRINK OFF WITH NO_WAIT

GO

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply