Learning a database

• hi guys

i have a database which I need to learn soonish. My SQL skills are fine, any ideas the best way of learning the database. Sorry if thats as bit vague...

Cheers

If riding in a plane is flying, then riding in a boat must be swimming. To experience the element, get out of the vehicle. Skydive!

• Hi,

I take it your admin skills are fine so the actual administration of the database is fairly straightforward.

That is a bit vague.

It depends a lot on what the database is storing. If it is financial information and you are new to that business then you have the business rules, terminology and relationships to learn...that's going to take time.

You could start with the schema and entity relationship diagrams. That will give you a good start at how everything links together. If you have any jobs or replication that's the next stop. Before you start to deal with the tables in general, you need to be aware of any data flow between different data sources. You may jobs that produce calculated results..you need to be aware of the impact of these jobs.

Look at any Store Procedures that deal with modifying the data.

I suppose the best way to really get to grips with the data is to start reporting on it. If you have current report scripts to view that's even better. If you are going to start writing scripts from fresh, then you must be able to validate the results..then you are up an running.

I think if your scripting skills are strong and you know the business rules..you should pick it up quite quickly.

Lots of assumptions made of course.

Hope this helps a bit.

Graeme

• as i thought, just needed reasurrance. thanks graeme

If riding in a plane is flying, then riding in a boat must be swimming. To experience the element, get out of the vehicle. Skydive!

• You can run Profiler to see what the most common SQL is. Make notes and keep track of what tables/fields are used for. Be sure that the db is being backed up and indexed properly. Check indexes against SQL being run.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply