Licence SQL server Edition developper sous une machine EC2

• Good morning all

Can I take advantage of the fact that the SQL develop license is free to install it on EC2 AWS machine?Is the use of SQL developing ON EC2 AWS free

thank you for your clarification

• I think it is one of those "it depends" questions.  Is it going to be used ONLY for development purposes only (ie no production data, no UAT, etc)?  Then there should be no issue with that.

When in doubt, it is best to ask the software provider about the licensing (ie Microsoft), and review the license agreement.

If you don't need the Enterprise edition features (which are available in Developer edition), and your database is going to be 10 GB or less, Express may suit your needs as well (presuming you don't need automation as SQL Agent doesn't come with Express if I remember right).

Something to remember - advice on a community forum won't save your bacon if Microsoft says you need to buy an Enterprise edition license.  Telling them that "MrBrianGale on SQL Server Central said it would be OK" won't stop them from handing you an invoice if you are using developer edition incorrectly.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Any database running on those versions of SQL Server must replicates entire virtual machines, including the operating system, all installed available to an EC2 instance and avoid unnecessary licensing costs. NJMCDirect

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Charles2145.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply