limit db size

• I have a SharePoint database that is over 6 gig in size, how can I shrink that db or keep it from stop growing?

Is there a way to give the DB a max size so that it doesn't keep eating up my space on my server?

• Mike (11/13/2008)

Is there a way to give the DB a max size so that it doesn't keep eating up my space on my server?

Yes, but if you do and it hits the maximum, anyone trying to insert data will cause an error. That's going to play havoc with sharepoint.

What are the users of sharepoint doing with it?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm working on getting more details as its the db name is SSP_Search_DB. I'm trying to find the person that created the db and the corresponding site, but so far no luck

• It's the sharepoint search database. It indexes all content in the sharepoint sites.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Is there anyway to control the size of it? Its just growing and growing and growing and eating up my server space.

Is like a worm that just keeps growing

• You're going to have to ask someone who knows sharepoint well.

Gail Shaw

• Mike (11/13/2008)

Is there anyway to control the size of it? Its just growing and growing and growing and eating up my server space.

Is like a worm that just keeps growing

We are running a POC in SharePoint. Beleive me, if your ss database is only 6gig consider yourself lucky. We have input just under a gig of data and its already breaking 5 gig.

Apparently (the consultant says in any case) that ss has a 1 to 4 ratio. So for every 1 gig of data you get at least 4 gig of database (I suppose thats then plus search indexes).

Does that sound right to you Gail?

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Schadenfreude-Mei (11/14/2008)

Wouldn't know. As I said, you'll have to ask someone who knows sharepoint well, and that someone is not me.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (11/14/2008)

Schadenfreude-Mei (11/14/2008)

Wouldn't know. As I said, you'll have to ask someone who knows sharepoint well, and that someone is not me.

My bubble has been burst !

• My bubble has been burst !

What that there is something that Gail doesnt know? Yeah im surprised to. My confidence is shaken but my hero-worship is far to strong. Gail your still the queen! 🙂

• You should never shrink a data file for performance reasons.

The only way to control the size of a database is to setup an archive job which wiil run frequently enough (if this is applicable to your application).

PSA

• I would I setup an 'archived' job?

I'm not a DBA so I'm not sure of everything quite yet. I picked up the work when are full time db left for vacation and never returned.

• I'm not a DBA so I'm not sure of everything quite yet. I picked up the work when are full time db left for vacation and never returned.

I really do suggest you get some training before you go any further. A little knowledge in a system like SQL is way more dangerous then none at all.

• I think you have to approach this issue from 2 side.

#1 - I agree with the previous post about training. With the training should come a clear understanding of what you can do within SQL Server to handle this issue.

#2 - You also have to take a look at what's happening with Sharepoint. Is there more "stuff" save to Sharepoint than should be? Are there multiple copies that could be delete? Can anything be archived or deleted, etc, etc, etc, .................

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I can't really answer your questions either. We are just getting into WSS ourselves. I agree with getting training. I would also look for SharePoint Administration training specifically as well as additional SQL Server training.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply