Lines of code in DTS

• Hello,

We are in the process of studying the existing system which contains hundreds of DTS packages. Before we start migrating them to SSIS packages, we need to understand the complexity of each DTS package. How do we quickly check the number of lines of codes in packages and the 'tasks' used in those packages.

Many thanks in advance.

Warm Regards,
    Neel aka Vijay.

• The only way I know is to save them out as VB files and then check them with some editor.

I'm afraid this is probably a manual process for you to check them. Pragmatic Works (Www.pragmaticworks.com, also a friend/business partner) has a tool that does convert many packages.

• A few years ago I wrote an application that "documents" DTS Packages. It will create a text/html document, analyzing the important aspects of the package, connection, presedence, tasks and steps. One of the features that may appeal to your needs, is the exporting of Active-X scripts complete with color coding and line numbering. It only works on DTS Packages that are stored in SQL (will not work with structured storage files) that are not password protected. I have not updated the code in years, for I assumed everyone would be moving to SSIS.

If this sounds like a tool that would meet your needs, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy.

-Mike Gercevich

• I don't get how the number of lines of code can tell you anything about the complexity of a package. I would think understanding what the tasks are doing would be a lot more useful.

Greg

Greg

• Hi Mike,

First of all, many thanks for your helping hand. Our packages are stored as dts files and not stored on sql server. So, your application may not help us.

Thanks anyways.

Vijay.

Warm Regards,
    Neel aka Vijay.

• Hi Greg,

I see your point. Before we start exploring the real complexity, we would like to know the number of codes involved and tasks used in the packages.

Thanks,

Vijay.

Warm Regards,
    Neel aka Vijay.

• You can save them out as VB packages and then perhaps write something to dig through the code, look for various tasks/connections, and provide some rough idea of complexity.

Most packages upgrade well unless they have script tasks in them. Once you get those, all bets on complexity are off.

• Vijay,

The utility DTS Package Seach will do what you need to do and handle file based packages with passwords. The advanced search feature will allow you to search at the property level. For instance chose ActveXScript as the property to search and function as the search term and all the packages that have Script Tasks will be returned.

Norman

DTS Package Search

http://www.dtspackagesearch.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply