Linked Server

• Can any one tell me ..how linked server works in sql server.

Is it possible for me to write triggers for an acces table(under my linked server)

Please advice me on this

• Linked servers use the driver for the DB type you are connecting to and the funationality does not change for them. You also cannot write in most cases schema DDL to make changes to the remote system. In the case of Access it would be Jet 4 most likely and no you cannot extened tables with triggers only what exists in Access and has to be done from Access. You can however reference the data tables in SPs' Views, Triggers and other SQL code.

• Regarding linked servers

Linked servers are the way a SQL Server Instance tracks the

OLEDB provider and connection context that it applies to queries containing four part names.  Server.Database.Owner.Object

Rather than using the rowset functions like Openquery(...), Openrowset(...), and OpenDataSource(...) in in-line  tables declarations in the FROM clause

eg. You get this syntax if a linked server is define correctly.

select T.* from server.db.own.titles T

instead of this syntax

select T.* from openrowset(..dsn parameters and table name here...)

Sql Server handles all the dsn parameters and tablename translation stuff  for you if the linked server is configured and the correct permissions are associated with the server instance and the linked servers login.

Now with regard to your second question.  OLEDB Rowsets are limited to the capabilities exposed by the underlying DATABASE provider.  In your case it most likely would be the MSJET DATABASE provider and it doesn't add any magic middleware stuff that I am aware of, so the answer is no on the trigger concept.

Peter Evans (__PETER Peter_)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply