LINKED SERVER

• Hi All,

I have successfully created a linked server... but the database and tables of the created linked server are not displaying. Please see the attached file.

Thaks in advance!

• Do you get any results (or an error) if you query the linked server using the 4 part syntax like so

select

from [test-linked server].master.dbo.sysobjects;

• hi, thanks for the reply.... Below is the returned error message.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "test-linked server" returned message "Login timeout expired".

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "test-linked server" returned message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.".

Msg 53, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53].

• Grasshopper,

Just to throw it out there, you do have the option "Allow remote connections to this server" enabled right?

I have seen several solutions to this error, some easy, some incredibly bizarre (#3 took days to find).

1) SQL 2005 Native Client Connections not installed on the server

2) Network Errors (can you connect to the linked server itself using ssms remotely)

3) Using Broadcom Nics on Windows Server 2008 (you need to disable the tcp/ip optimizations)

Jake

• My first thought was a name resolution problem..

CEWII

• I would start at the beginning... Open a command prompt and ping the server. If you can't then you have a connection issue. If you can, make sure that the server is configured to allow connections from remote instances. Finally, double-check the credentials you are using for the linked server.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Klarence A. (2/15/2012)

Hi All,

I have successfully created a linked server... but the database and tables of the created linked server are not displaying. Please see the attached file.

Thaks in advance!

Could you provide more information about the linked Server? Is it a SQL Server? Are you using a SQL account or a Windows account to connect? What are the security settings you selected?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply