linked server and windows authentication

• With linked server added, I can access remote server, say from Query Analyzer, using SQL Server Authentication, as long as I have the same SQL logins in all SQL servers under consideration. However, I cannot login to remote server with Windows Authentication.

I checked in Enterprise Manager the Linked Server Properties, Security tab. By default 'Be made using the login's current security context' is checked, and nothing in the login mapping panel. From the help contex, this should work for Windows Authentication as I have my Windows login in all servers as Windows login account. But it does not work. The message I get is:

Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

Remote access works if I put my SQL accout in the top login mapping list, and map to my SQL account, but I really want use Windows Authentication. Can anyone help ?

• Check the services account for startup SQL services, if you want to using the windows authentication, change the services account using domain user, don't use local system account.

• I have the same issue. Could you be any more specific as to the resolution of the issue? I have several servers using mixed mode and one using windows auth that I can't access with distributed queries? Are you referring to the MSSQLServer service? Also, these servers need to have a high level of security. Is it not possible to have that service configured as a local system account and still run distributed queries?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply