linked server issue

• I have to migrate to a new server and domain. I have serveral servers which have links to this server. I did the linked server with the server name (maybe not the best), but for the developers they liked the idea that the link gave them access to all the read-only database objects they needed. I realize you could do the other way of having an oledb source for each catalog(database) but this would have required a catalog/link for each database ( Ihave 6 db's that need to be exposed). ANy better approaches?

• I have moved away naming linked servers using either server-specific or even database-specific names.

It creates confusion when a server goes away and all your code refers to something which doesn't exist. I have in the past named the linked server after the database itself but that also creates confusion if you upgrade a specific system and the db gets a new name.

I name them after their function: CorporateAccounting, Inventory, etc...

I may even create multiple linked servers to the same database to allow more granular security. SalesRead and SalesWrite.

What has worked better for is to name the linked server after the functionality and to create more rather than less linked servers.

• I kind of agree bu the horse is out of the barn, one way or the other I either change the one linked server to new name and developers change just the one piece of code, or I have to set up a linked server based upon a catalog for 8 databases

• If you can't put the horse back in the barn then I am not sure what you can do.

Options seem to be:

-modify the existing linked server to point to the new server

-create a new linked sever with a new name and do a 'simple' search/replace in your code

-create multiple linked servers, analyze the code, replace as needed.

You could do 1 and 3 and give everyone time to cut over.

What's your linked server security model? If you are specifying the security context in the linked server itself there could be trouble if your requirements change and only some developers can see some of the data but not all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply