Linked server problem

• Query execution failed: OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server xxxx" returned message "Login timeout expired".

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "xxxxx" returned message "A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.".

HResult 0xFFFF, Level 16, State 1

SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error getting enabled protocols list from registry [xFFFFFFFF].

The destination server is 2008 R2 and linked server is sql server 2000. the query was working fine in sql server 2005. Any help???

• Looks like a network connectivity issue.

You could log on to the 2008R2 machine and run SQLCMD to connect to the SQL2000 server. Does it work?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• IS RPC & RPC out set to true under 'Server Options ' ?

• yes

• Yes for RPC in/out or for SQLCMD?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• install the sql server native client 10 on the side of SQL server 2000 and then create a odbc with this driver and then create a linked server with this new dsn on the side of SQL Server 2000

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (6/21/2011)

install the sql server native client 10 on the side of SQL server 2000 and then create a odbc with this driver and then create a linked server with this new dsn on the side of SQL Server 2000

I don't see how this could solve the OP's issue.

If I'm reading it right, (s)he's trying to query SQL2000 from SQL2008R2, not the contrary.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I don't see how this could solve the OP's issue.

If I'm reading it right, (s)he's trying to query SQL2000 from SQL2008R2, not the contrary.

Did you create SQL Server 2008 R2 linked Server with native client of SQL Server 2000?

If he or she create the linked Server with this new Driver then it will give his or her a performance advantage too

If he or she can ping the server and can connect with SSMS(SQL Server Management Studio) on the SQL Server 2000 server then this step will come after that

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (6/21/2011)

I don't see how this could solve the OP's issue.

Did you create SQL Server 2008 R2 linked Server with native client of SQL Server 2000?

If he or she create the linked Server with this new Driver then it will give his or her a performance advantage too

If he or she can ping the server and can connect with SSMS(SQL Server Management Studio) on the SQL Server 2000 server then this step will come after that

I may be wrong, but I read it the other way round.

Let's see if the OP can clarify.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply