Linked server to Teradata OLEDB or ODBC?

• I'm running SQL Server 2005 on a WINge-XP desktop, and need to extract/import data from a Teradata datawarehouse into SQL Server for analysis and mish-mashing.

I already have the Teradata ODBC driver installed, and have downloaded but not installed the OLEDB driver for Teradata.

1. Can anyone tell me which method is better and why?

2. Is there an obvious limitation to the number of records either can support. (I'll be extracting 6-7m rows each time).

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

• I do not know if you have a native ole db provider for Teradata. For e.g., in the case of Oracle there's an Oracle provided OLE DB provider which is supposedly the best fit. OLE DB typically has less number of abstractions over ODBC. But all said, the best way to find out is to actually run both.

• Out of curiosity, why do you need to pull data out of a Teradata data warehouse? Performance? I just wondered because we have a new Teradata data warehouse and data is pulled from SQL Servers. So far I can't see any benefit to having Teradata so I'm curious as to your reason. Thanks.

• Linda Johanning (8/6/2008)

Out of curiosity, why do you need to pull data out of a Teradata data warehouse? Performance? I just wondered because we have a new Teradata data warehouse and data is pulled from SQL Servers. So far I can't see any benefit to having Teradata so I'm curious as to your reason. Thanks.

I'm performing cross system reconciliations comparing various legacy billing sytems on different platforms with a new replace CRM/Billing system. Some are in DB2, some in Ingress some in Oracle. The legacy systems also feed a Teradata warehouse.

IT will not permit me to perform adhoc queries any of the production systems (old or new). The best I can hope for is to compare data extracted for me from the new system, and I have permission to extract legacy data from a Teradata datawarehouse.

I want to set up semi-regular extracts from each system, and put the data in a single location (single platform) and then analyse and report inconsistencies and exceptions.

I really don't have a lot to work with, and have to make do with what I have. I am fortunate enough to have SQL server installed on my PC, and as I have complete control of this instance, I can create whatever tables & queries I want. All I need now is data...

It's not ideal, but like I said, I have to work with what I have.

• gnana krishnan (8/5/2008)

I do not know if you have a native ole db provider for Teradata. For e.g., in the case of Oracle there's an Oracle provided OLE DB provider which is supposedly the best fit. OLE DB typically has less number of abstractions over ODBC. But all said, the best way to find out is to actually run both.

Great, thanks for your answer. Thats kind of what I suspected, but was hoping for confirmation.

Regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply